Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Breastmilk Yogurt? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467699)

rooster2012 11-28-2012 09:02 PM

Breastmilk Yogurt?

Bizarre request, but does anyone know if you can make yogurt for your LO out of breastmilk. I heard of a woman doing this and wondered if it was actually possible. I'd love to try if it is :-)

me_just_me 11-28-2012 11:11 PM

Re: Breastmilk Yogurt?

My DH really wanted to do that with all the milk I had stored in the freezer. I donated it before he had the chance, but I think you would just make it the same as regular yogurt.

rooster2012 11-29-2012 05:19 AM

Thanks so much :-) I'm gonna google a recipe for yogurt and see what happens.

rooster2012 11-30-2012 04:52 PM

Bump, anyone else?

philenabean 11-30-2012 10:42 PM

Love this idea! Let us know if it turns out :)

rooster2012 12-01-2012 06:39 PM

So I spent some time researching online and bought a yogurt maker on amazon. Apparently making breastmilk yogurt is considered pretty "hippy", which is interesting because I don't think of myself as hippy at all... Lol :-) I was just looking for something to feed my baby when we start solids that would be cows milk free. Basically the recipes are the same as making regular yogurt. It doesn't seem too hard, just time consuming. I'll let you all know how it goes :-)

menthomas 12-01-2012 07:01 PM

I was JUST thinking about this because ds2 seems to be sensitive to yogurt. He pukes up yobaby yogurt. The first time he ate a container about 2 hours later he puked it all over me. Disgusting! I had to shower because I smelled like rotten milk.

I will have to get my mom to do it for me. She's pretty hippy. Lol

mama horns 12-01-2012 07:40 PM

I've been thinking of trying this, my boy is allergic to dairy, but I'd love for him to have some yogurt!

ArronDalesMama 12-03-2012 09:50 PM

I did.

I used a simple recipe using the powdered starter.

Turned out fine. Tasted fine. Yes I tasted it it. :) it was a little more runny than cows milk yogurt.

Try mabacons way of mason jars and a cooler. That always seem to produce thicker yogurt than a machine (which really is just a warmer)

Baby ate it fine.

I never did get to try making cheese, maybe the next baby.

Jomama521 12-09-2012 06:17 PM

This should work well. I had to make a lot of yogurt in college. We mainly used a yogurt maker which is good at keeping it at the proper consistent temperature and the packets of culture. I would just be sure not to store it too long in the fridge.