Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Worried about baby's weight gain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467701)

MandaMommy2 11-28-2012 09:03 PM

Took LO to Wic today and her weight was only up 2 oz from last week and I'm very worried. The week before that she gained 4 oz but before that she had been gaining about 10-12 oz a week. She's sleeping a lot more and refusing to eat ever since she got her 2 month shots. We've also been struggling with trush but she only has the tiniest spot on her lower gum. I'm going to start waking her for night feeding. I have milk because my boobs are full. Maybe I should pump and store it to keep my supply up. Idk I'm just worried they're going to make me start formula. She went from eating all the time to wanting not to eat. Idk...

qsefthuko 11-28-2012 09:15 PM

Re: Worried about baby's weight gain

The thrush can make her more sleepy. I would wonder though about a connection between her shots and her sudden sleepiness. I think waking her to nurse is a good idea. If you are concerned can you have her checked out by the doctor? Also have you considered a difference between scales? Is the same one being used. Has her behavior otherwise changed? I would be less concerned if she is behaving the same.

MandaMommy2 11-28-2012 09:17 PM

I should also mention that LO takes pepsid for Gershwin and her dose was increased a few weeks ago right after her shots. I'm suspicious if maybe the pepsid is part of the problem bc it makes her drowsy. I'm going to talk to the Ped about it in the am. When my son was 12 weeks he was diagnosed with failure to thrive and given almost all formula per Ped. Up until this point his weight gain had been fine though. Has anyone else had an issue with infant weight gain that worked itself out or was there a real problem?

MandaMommy2 11-28-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko
The thrush can make her more sleepy. I would wonder though about a connection between her shots and her sudden sleepiness. I think waking her to nurse is a good idea. If you are concerned can you have her checked out by the doctor? Also have you considered a difference between scales? Is the same one being used. Has her behavior otherwise changed? I would be less concerned if she is behaving the same.

No it's two different scales. I actually trust the Wic scale more bc it's calibrated monthly. At our Ped they have multiple infant scales they bring into the room and I don't know how often they are calibrated. I'm going to ask them tomorrow at our apt if they label the scales so they know which one was used and how often they are calibrated. At Wic according to their charts the baby is growing great. If a weight gain of only 4 oz is considered okay there really isn't a lot of room for error. The roto virus vaccine made her really sick and she hasn't been tight since. I hope my baby's okay. I want my husband to go with me tomorrow but he's been working all week long hours. He usually hardly works and im mad at him fir it all but this week we've hardly seen him. Idk I just feel sick with worry. I'm going to make some more mothers milk tea and try and relax.

keen1981 11-28-2012 09:31 PM

Is baby at breast at least 12 x in 24 hours?

MandaMommy2 11-28-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981
Is baby at breast at least 12 x in 24 hours?

No. Yesterday she only ate 7 times. I've been calling the LC at the Ped but she didn't seem worried bc the baby is 12 weeks now and she told me to let her sleep at night bc she needs her rest. Yet a couple days ago the baby wouldn't stop nursing. I know she's not nursing as much bc my breasts are full and dripping within an hour. I've been checking her temp and its okay. I'm just worried and if the Ped acts like this is my fault tomorrow I'm not going to be happy. I've been calling and asking for help and I feel like they just brushed me off. She's having a lot of wet and poopy diapers though and her head circumference has expanded 3 inches. She hasn't grown much longer though. She just wants to be held and gets mad if I'm not in the room but I think that's just normal baby stuff. She also gets fussy at night before she goes to sleep but that doesn't seem that abnormal to me either. She's just sleepy. My mother is no help at all. She constantly criticizes me for breast feeding and was telling me to supplement so I just don't call her anymore. I'm really glad I have this site. I have been losing weight at a pretty fast rate. I've lost 40 lbs in the last 12 plus weeks but 16 of that was gone 5 days pp. I've been trying to eat a lot of healthy foods so ill have enough milk and drink a lot of water. What can I eat to raise the fat content of my milk?

songbird516 11-28-2012 10:02 PM

My son's weight gain started dropping off around that time. But, based on what you've said, I would try to get her to nurse more often. And I might delay the next round of shots until all of the issues are worked out.

Sarah-B 11-28-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandaMommy2

No. Yesterday she only ate 7 times. I've been calling the LC at the Ped but she didn't seem worried bc the baby is 12 weeks now and she told me to let her sleep at night bc she needs her rest. Yet a couple days ago the baby wouldn't stop nursing. I know she's not nursing as much bc my breasts are full and dripping within an hour. I've been checking her temp and its okay. I'm just worried and if the Ped acts like this is my fault tomorrow I'm not going to be happy. I've been calling and asking for help and I feel like they just brushed me off. She's having a lot of wet and poopy diapers though and her head circumference has expanded 3 inches. She hasn't grown much longer though. She just wants to be held and gets mad if I'm not in the room but I think that's just normal baby stuff. She also gets fussy at night before she goes to sleep but that doesn't seem that abnormal to me either. She's just sleepy. My mother is no help at all. She constantly criticizes me for breast feeding and was telling me to supplement so I just don't call her anymore. I'm really glad I have this site. I have been losing weight at a pretty fast rate. I've lost 40 lbs in the last 12 plus weeks but 16 of that was gone 5 days pp. I've been trying to eat a lot of healthy foods so ill have enough milk and drink a lot of water. What can I eat to raise the fat content of my milk?

I hear oatmeal is great to eat. I think you are doing a fantastic job. I also think you need to not be so hard on yourself. I will pray that you and your little one do better and that her thrush goes away.

Is your dd in the lower percentiles for growth? Also my dd is 5 months was nursing 6-7 times per day at 12 weeks & now only 5-6 times per day (still exclusively breastfed)

As long as your dd is on the growth charts and gaining I would say stick with breastfeeding.

If your mom or pediatrician tell you to supplement (as long as dd is gaining) I would not do that. Or I would at least get a 2nd opinion.
The way I see it is if your producing milk and baby is gaining at a good rate (until recently -but she is still gaining) why give her something less nutritious (formula) than breast milk.

Now if she is not gaining and you have a supply issue that is another story.

Sounds to me like you are doing great mama!

As for shots - my friends twins reacted this way (not eating as much and not really being themselves)
and so did my other friend's baby -and he died of SIDS within 3 days after getting shots. which is why my dd is not vaccinated yet- we are delaying them until age 2 because a 2 month old gets the same dose as a teenager and that to me is weird.
I think for every mom though shots is a personal decision.

Hang in there mama sounds like you are trying your hardest.

Be sure to post back her weight next time you weight your dd.

Sorry for the long post.
Hugs
-Sarah

MandaMommy2 11-29-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah-B

I hear oatmeal is great to eat. I think you are doing a fantastic job. I also think you need to not be so hard on yourself. I will pray that you and your little one do better and that her thrush goes away.

Is your dd in the lower percentiles for growth? Also my dd is 5 months was nursing 6-7 times per day at 12 weeks & now only 5-6 times per day (still exclusively breastfed)

As long as your dd is on the growth charts and gaining I would say stick with breastfeeding.

If your mom or pediatrician tell you to supplement (as long as dd is gaining) I would not do that. Or I would at least get a 2nd opinion.
The way I see it is if your producing milk and baby is gaining at a good rate (until recently -but she is still gaining) why give her something less nutritious (formula) than breast milk.

Now if she is not gaining and you have a supply issue that is another story.

Sounds to me like you are doing great mama!

As for shots - my friends twins reacted this way (not eating as much and not really being themselves)
and so did my other friend's baby -and he died of SIDS within 3 days after getting shots. which is why my dd is not vaccinated yet- we are delaying them until age 2 because a 2 month old gets the same dose as a teenager and that to me is weird.
I think for every mom though shots is a personal decision.

Hang in there mama sounds like you are trying your hardest.

Be sure to post back her weight next time you weight your dd.

Sorry for the long post.
Hugs
-Sarah

Oh no I'm so sorry about your friends baby. I look my LO to the Ped this morning and she was up 5 oz since the last time she was there 9 days ago. So that's 3 more oz than the Wic scale yesterday. Obviously the scales are different She's still wetting enough and is happy so I just have to try and eat more protein and pump more often to maintain my supply because she's sleeping so long at night. They don't want me to wake her to eat. The nurse practitioner wasn't overly concerned about the little spot of thrush on her gum and told me to just keep dabbing it with the nystatin. The LC came in too and she thinks that I probably only need to feed the baby about every three hours during the day and maybe try nursing in a dark quiet room if she seems overly distracted. Lately she wants to play and see what big brother is doing. She finds him very interesting. We're nursing right now and she did 15 minutes on the right and just switched over to the left. She has been favoring the left and I have three blisters on my nipple but the LC said it doesn't look like trush anymore but to keep using the apno cream. I'm so happy that her weight was up this morning. I've been in tears over it and now I'm somewhat relieved. I want to stock pile some freezer milk though just invade they tell me down the road to supplement. She was in the 75th percentile and last time she was in the 78th but as long as she doesn't drop anymore they aren't worried. Thank you for all of your help, encouragement & prayers.

MamaWillow 11-29-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 (Post 15985101)
They don't want me to wake her to eat.

Mama, you are doing a great job. I just wanted to chime in and say that if YOU want to wake her to eat, do it! "They" aren't in charge of how you parent. Please, if you feel the need, then go ahead and wake her. It may not hurt to do a dream feed before you go to bed...just a thought.