Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If one were going to circumcise (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467853)

chandni3 11-29-2012 11:49 AM

If one were going to circumcise

Ok, there are lots of posts on reasons to not circumcise. But if one did decide to knowing all the reasons not to but still decided to for whatever reason, What is the safest and best way to have it done, who should you have do it, what questions should you ask them, what is the best way to care for the penis after?
No flames and all. Please just post in answer to the question. We all know the reasons not to and that it is not necessary and the post on the reasons not to is readily available, but some people may have personal or religious reasons to choose to circumcise and want information on the best way.

carlycurry 11-29-2012 11:55 AM

Re: If one were going to circumcise

I don't know the "best" way... my son's doctor that delivered him performed it a day or two later in the hospital after he was born. As for care, we just kept it covered in vaseline until it was fully healed.

Kiliki 11-29-2012 11:59 AM

We took our son to a urologist to have it done. When you are looking for someone to do it, keep in mind many places do not use any anesthetic at all. So if that is important to you, you should ask first. There are also techniques for doing it. We wanted the plastibell method b/c we felt it kind of ensured it would be straight(er) and even(er) than a doc doing it free-handed. I don't remember the other techniques, but researching the different ways it's done and deciding which one you would prefer could help you in knowing what to ask when you call around. It was scary to me how many docs performed the procedure free-handed, with NO anesthetic at all.

My DS has not had any complications. But it was quite traumatic for me. I won't go into detail on that part, but if you care to do so, you can look up my thread about it, or you can PM me if you want to hear about it.

I am not pro or anti-circing. I am not an intactivist. I believe each family should be able to make the choice that best suits them. However, as a result of my personal experience last time, I will not be circ'ing next time (I'm due in March with our second son).

slimy72 11-29-2012 12:00 PM

My son's was done by his pediatrician using the plastibell and local anethetic. There was no special care at all. They told us no vasaline or gauze needed. It healed great and we had no problems. I don't know what the "best" method is, I just know that's what his pediatrician used. My son cried while they did it, but calmed down in just a few min. and was his normal self again the rest of the day. They did tell us to give him tylenol for two doses (8 hours) and to change his diaper frequently.

TrennaII 11-29-2012 12:23 PM

I made a lot of phone calls, asking different places about their method. LO was born at home so I had to arrange it afterward.

You may have been aware that Jews typically circumcise on the 8th day; studies have demonstrated that newborns' clotting factors are highest on the 8th day.

To increase his ability to clot well, we also opted to have the vitamin K shot. Hospitals do this routinely but midwives, like with everything else, inform patients of the risks and benefits and alternatives and let the patient choose.

I chose the pediatrician whose answers I liked best, about how the procedure was done. I liked that when I asked if I could come in, he said he'd prefer it if I did.

My son was 16 days old so he was more alert and responsive than a younger newborn; the doctor suspected he'd show more discomfort than most but commented after that he didn't.

I helped hold DS's arms while his dad let him suck sugar water off his finger (DS has never liked pacifiers). The sugar water apparently helps calm them, as of course sucking does.

The doctor made a circle of small injections to numb the skin area and then did one injection that I think was a nerve block? I forget what the technical term is, but it was to numb the penile nerve I believe.

Little man didn't show any discomfort during the cut, just while it was cleaned up after. Still he cried less than he had the day before when he'd gotten a little hand sanitizer in his eye.

I mixed Herb Pharm Trauma Oil and lanolin and vaseline to help it heal up, along with cotton flat diapers, a wool cover, and just a scrap of flannel to protect the diaper from the Vaseline. The midwife checked on us the next day and couldn't believe the circumcision was only 24 hours old.

He came home with gauze and vaseline, and the first bandage change was not fun. He had a trickle of a bleed but, as the doctor had said, 30 seconds of pinching that spot made it quit. I let him go diaperless on my lap for quite awhile.

The Herb Pharm Trauma Oil has arnica for bruising, hypericum for pain, and calendula to help skin heal ... in an olive oil base. I can't recommend it highly enough. Great for the umbilical stump too.

I think it also mattered a lot that when he was born, his cord wasn't cut until quite awhile after he was born, to make sure he had as much of his own blood as he could get (to put it crudely). He's clotted extremely well since birth (so well that for his PKU test, it took forever to get the test paper saturated).

Oh and nursing immediately after the procedure did a lot of good.

I still wouldn't recommend the procedure to anyone who wants it just for cosmetic purposes, or for anyone not willing to accompany and comfort their son through the procedure. But I don't feel that it was a traumatic event for my son, and if I have another boy I will have it done again (we're Jewish and I don't want to burden him with the choice later in life, when it's a major surgery).

Joyful Tie Dyes 11-29-2012 12:28 PM

No plastibell, yes anesthetic and use a pediatric urologist.

MyLovely 11-29-2012 12:43 PM

I guess it depends on the reasoning. If the family in question is Jewish, a mohel must do it or it doesn't count.

Outside of that though, a pediatric urologist with adequate pain management. EMLA cream prior to a nerve block, let the nerve block take full effect and plenty of pain medicine afterwards. Definitely no plastibell.

adavieau 11-29-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrennaII (Post 15985329)
I made a lot of phone calls, asking different places about their method. LO was born at home so I had to arrange it afterward.

You may have been aware that Jews typically circumcise on the 8th day; studies have demonstrated that newborns' clotting factors are highest on the 8th day.

To increase his ability to clot well, we also opted to have the vitamin K shot. Hospitals do this routinely but midwives, like with everything else, inform patients of the risks and benefits and alternatives and let the patient choose.

I chose the pediatrician whose answers I liked best, about how the procedure was done. I liked that when I asked if I could come in, he said he'd prefer it if I did.

My son was 16 days old so he was more alert and responsive than a younger newborn; the doctor suspected he'd show more discomfort than most but commented after that he didn't.

I helped hold DS's arms while his dad let him suck sugar water off his finger (DS has never liked pacifiers). The sugar water apparently helps calm them, as of course sucking does.

The doctor made a circle of small injections to numb the skin area and then did one injection that I think was a nerve block? I forget what the technical term is, but it was to numb the penile nerve I believe.

Little man didn't show any discomfort during the cut, just while it was cleaned up after. Still he cried less than he had the day before when he'd gotten a little hand sanitizer in his eye.

I mixed Herb Pharm Trauma Oil and lanolin and vaseline to help it heal up, along with cotton flat diapers, a wool cover, and just a scrap of flannel to protect the diaper from the Vaseline. The midwife checked on us the next day and couldn't believe the circumcision was only 24 hours old.

He came home with gauze and vaseline, and the first bandage change was not fun. He had a trickle of a bleed but, as the doctor had said, 30 seconds of pinching that spot made it quit. I let him go diaperless on my lap for quite awhile.

The Herb Pharm Trauma Oil has arnica for bruising, hypericum for pain, and calendula to help skin heal ... in an olive oil base. I can't recommend it highly enough. Great for the umbilical stump too.

I think it also mattered a lot that when he was born, his cord wasn't cut until quite awhile after he was born, to make sure he had as much of his own blood as he could get (to put it crudely). He's clotted extremely well since birth (so well that for his PKU test, it took forever to get the test paper saturated).

Oh and nursing immediately after the procedure did a lot of good.

I still wouldn't recommend the procedure to anyone who wants it just for cosmetic purposes, or for anyone not willing to accompany and comfort their son through the procedure. But I don't feel that it was a traumatic event for my son, and if I have another boy I will have it done again (we're Jewish and I don't want to burden him with the choice later in life, when it's a major surgery).

The bolded is how we had it done. Our first ds was 8 days old our second was 9 because from my research that is when babies clotting factors are the highest (we did not do vitamin K shots or oral drops) and because we did not want it done in the first few days of life when breast-feeding was getting established and everyone was getting into the swing of things.

We are not Jewish but it was a Jewish Dr. recommended by our pediatrician who preformed the procedure our pediatrician had seen several cases of plastibell circs that didn't heal well or the skin started healing around the plastibell and needed a lot of care or to be re-done so we opted for the more "traditional" method.

We used Vaseline and gauze for the first week to keep it from sticking to the diapers (I just used disposables during that time). I nursed both boys right after and gave them Tylenol (at the doctors recommendation) as well. One boy was much more upset than the other but I think it had more to do with being held immobile than anything (to this day he hates being "stuck"). They both calmed down quickly though and didn't seem to show any discomfort after.

Hungry Caterpillar 11-29-2012 02:50 PM

I personally feel it is not a pediatrican's place to do so, though they will if asked. Most OB's are surgeons, and if you are doing so religiously, ask your OB if they know a Mohel who is ALSO a surgeon. This way you are covered both religiously as well as physically safe. JMO.

Buy plenty of vaseline, preferably in the squeeze tubes so you can squeeze out and not have to dig in a jar. Purchase sterile individually wrapped gauze pads. Do not worry about overpurchasing as they are useful with scrapes as child ages.

With pee, the bandage does not get moved, changed, or re-vaselined. With poop, clean the poop around it, carefully remove the bandage, clean with cloth wipe saturated in warm water, and then pat dry. Squeeze vaseline onto middle of gauze square, place over tip of penis, and then the pad will sort of "seal" shut using the vaseline as it squeezes around the tip.

I am not familiar with plastibell.

lynn97 11-29-2012 03:38 PM

We had our Pediatrician do our DS's. He gives Tylenol and a local anesthetic. DS slept through his procedure. They used one of the clamp methods (not the Plastibell). My much younger brother had the Plastibell and his foreskin kept growing forward, which I have heard is common. We haven't had any problems or issues with DS's curc at all. We used Vaseline and gauze for the first 2-3 days and Neosporin for the first day. I would definitely curc another DS. I have known too many men w/problems as adults to consider skipping.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum