Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Home-made detergent long term issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467936)

awarren 11-29-2012 03:24 PM

Home-made detergent long term issues

I have used the common homemade detergent (borax, washing soda, oxy clean mixture) for about 6 - 7 months in my front loader. I have not been real pleased with the results. I think it has ruined my covers and worn my prefolds.

Here is my wash routine:
Cold prewash, hot long wash with 2 tablespoons detergent, 1 rinse with 1/4 cup vineger, extra rinse. Then another short cycle hot wash with no detergent.

My prefolds are very worn with tons of holes. The ones I have left are about 2 years old but they should age better than that.

About a year ago I ditched my pockets and went with prefolds and covers.
All my Flip and Econobum (about 20 covers between 2 kids) covers are leaking like crazy, seemingly all at once. I think it is due to the elastic being stretched by the look of them. It doesn't look like there are cracks in the pul. My Flip covers are about a year old. Should the covers last longer?

My question is... is the detergent and vinegar rinse damaging my diapers in the long run? Or is this ordinary wear and tear.

I have switched to Ultra Tide original for the time being as I have not read any bad reviews using Tide on diapers, but what about covers. Is Tide going to build up on the covers?

They were washed a lot and I have 2 in diapers right now. I think they should last longer than a year.

I am back to my prowrap covers for now. I ordered all new covers on the Black Friday Sales but I definitely don't want to ruin another batch by this detergent. This time I got Bummis SSW, and Thristies sized covers.

thanks in advance

dncnshu00 11-29-2012 03:27 PM

Re: Home-made detergent long term issues

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought borax was known to be hard on diapers.

levismomma84 11-29-2012 03:28 PM

I use the same detergent and would love to know the answer as I am just getting into the cloth diaper thing....

thirdtimemomma 11-29-2012 03:44 PM

Toss your covers in the dryer, try resealing the PUL. I didn't have good luck with HM detergent getting diapers clean. But covers and prefolds will wear out with continual use no matter the detergent.

luvof3boyz 11-29-2012 03:49 PM

I have never heard good thing about HM detergent.

FriedaT 11-29-2012 03:50 PM

I've used a similar detergent (I add baking soda) for about 9 months or so and I love it so I don't know :headscratch:

meljc 11-29-2012 03:59 PM

If your covers don't have poop on them, have you thought about putting them in with baby's clothing laundry? They shouldn't really need the same aggressive washing that your inserts or prefolds get. Ours are washed with clothing on delicate (warm water and low agitation) and then I line dry them.

ktgrok 11-29-2012 04:09 PM

first, you are doing too much. a rinse or prewash, a wash, and an extra rinse is enough. No sure why you are doing the extra wash after that? Second, your homemade detergent has no soap in it, just water softeners. Third, oxiclean can react with pea to form an acid that is hard on cotton.

qsefthuko 11-29-2012 04:09 PM

I don't have any help but am wondering how that mixture alone can clean diapers? It isn't actually using any soap or detergent.

Ky-Momma 11-29-2012 04:19 PM

I can't answer about the HM detergent but I wanted to say I don't think that's normal wear. My pf and Flips are almost 4 yrs old and the pf's have no holes and the only problem with the Flips are slightly loose elastic and one Flip starting to delaminate. I don't expect my covera to last forever because I dry in the dryer. I jave a front loader and have always used Tide.