Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Input needed....Severe separation anxiety?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468015)

bluecandi 11-29-2012 08:03 PM

Input needed....Severe separation anxiety??

Everything Ive been reading says its abnormal after age 2 and if it continues she needs to see a psychiatrist and possibly get on anxiety meds (seriously?!?). My 27mo is still having anxiety when we go to MDO. Weve been going since September. At first I thought Oh this is normal, but its not getting better. In fact it seems to be getting worse.
Add to the fact, this kiddo is developmentally delayed (speech) by 11 months. We start speech therapy next week, Plus I suspect some SPD issues (mostly noise related). Weve been told by 2 docs to have her worked up for an ASD....we are just waiting to get in to the evaluation center.

I want to pull her out of MDO. She does fine at the babysitters because her big sis is there.....but big sis is in another class at MDO. Anyway, hubby is not sure....thinks we might be depriving her of an opportunity for socialization and further speech development. I argue that at this age, they dont really "socialize"......more like fight over toys, right??....and her speech hasnt improved by being there so far.

Can yall offer any insight?

Suzi 11-30-2012 09:19 PM

Re: Input needed....Severe separation anxiety??

If its situational anxiety I wouldn't worry too much. My youngest has an asd and had separation anxiety until 4, still has it at times. He's never been on meds.

Wendylady 11-30-2012 09:25 PM

I don't know if this is much help to you but my child with special needs was accepted into a special needs preschool at age 3. He had similar issues to what you mention here(no talking, issues with loud noise and freaked out being away from us, or even other people touching him, like his teachers or doctors). It really helped him a lot, the socialization was a big help with his speech especially. He freaked out at first but grew to love his teachers. His sensory issues are only with really loud noises though so that wasn't as big of a concern in a classroom environment,though it made using public restrooms impossible for years!

ktmelody 11-30-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendylady
I don't know if this is much help to you but my child with special needs was accepted into a special needs preschool at age 3. He had similar issues to what you mention here(no talking, issues with loud noise and freaked out being away from us, or even other people touching him, like his teachers or doctors). It really helped him a lot, the socialization was a big help with his speech especially. He freaked out at first but grew to love his teachers. His sensory issues are only with really loud noises though so that wasn't as big of a concern in a classroom environment,though it made using public restrooms impossible for years!

Same here.

My dd just turned 3. Is in the sn preschool. She has severe anxiety, selective mutism and asd with spd. She is doing well at school. It has helped.

I would do what feels best to you. We had my dd at story time and stopped for a while. The anxiety was too much for dd.

luvsviola 11-30-2012 09:51 PM

How long does she cry while she is at MDO? 30 minutes or the whole time?
My personal thoughts are that if the MDO is ok with it, to let her tough it out there. It really helped my DS who wasn't really talking at 2.5. He is now above age level at 3.5. At 3, early intervention kicks you over to your school district and kids go to developmental preschool, so the routine of going to school now will help when you go to 5 days a week preschool at age 3. DS goes 9-11:45 5 days a week.

I wouldn't jump to meds just yet. At 3, I might. I am also one to give anything a trial. If they do want to do meds, just agree to try them for a month and see, and if you don't like them, you can always take her off them. You don't know if they help or not without trying them.

bluecandi 12-01-2012 09:01 AM

She cries for 5-10 minutes....another 10 or so to get over it and engage. Im hesitant to go with meds that havent been tested on little brains.....perhaps I should try rescue remedy??

jennyfa 12-02-2012 02:27 PM

Is it affecting other areas of her life? (I mean, like is she anxious the night before she goes to MDO?) Honestly, as a former preschool teacher, 5-20 minutes is not that severe of an anxiety measure. It sucks it's not getting better, but the severely anxious and upset kids don't engage after 20 minutes.

bluecandi 12-02-2012 03:25 PM

She is 2 so she doesnt really get that "tomorrow's a school day". I guess Im just concerned because shes delayed.....so I am scared to stress her out a bunch.

ktmelody 12-02-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyfa
Is it affecting other areas of her life? (I mean, like is she anxious the night before she goes to MDO?) Honestly, as a former preschool teacher, 5-20 minutes is not that severe of an anxiety measure. It sucks it's not getting better, but the severely anxious and upset kids don't engage after 20 minutes.

I agree. My 3 year old dd has an asd and she never engages with other kids. She has no interest at all and her anxiety is always present.

My NT children (most of them) would take 15-20 min to warm up. I think that is a normal expectation for a 2-3 year old.

luvsviola 12-02-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody

I agree. My 3 year old dd has an asd and she never engages with other kids. She has no interest at all and her anxiety is always present.

My NT children (most of them) would take 15-20 min to warm up. I think that is a normal expectation for a 2-3 year old.

20 minutes IMO is totally normal at that age. There are several kids in DD2s class that cry that much. I knew a kid that cried for 2 hours--that is an issue. But 20 minutes I would just let her grow out of.