Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Crazy leakage (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468031)

desibob 11-29-2012 07:52 PM

Crazy leakage

Ok, let me begin by stating that I'm a first time mom. I've been breastfeeding for 8 weeks now, and leaking for about 5 weeks. I have to change my breast pads at least twice a day, and I always have wet spots on my shirt (I'm a SAHM, so it's not too cumbersome). When I feed my baby, the non-nursing boob leaks like crazy. He's been soaking wet at the shoulder from my milk squirting him in the face or being dripped out of his mouth due to high volume. But when I pump, I only get 3 ounces per boob/per pumping session. I'm tired of having constantly wet pads/shirts/baby. I feel so icky!

When does the leaking stop?!

keen1981 11-29-2012 07:56 PM

Well first- your pump output is great. Not 'only' three ounces. That's perfection. More is usually due to 'over supply' and is not normal. While its considered abound to stash more milk- it does come with some downers too.

Anywho- you are still new at this supply/demand thing so your breasts are still learning the cycle. Some breasts stop
Leaking sooner than others. I'd say another 8 weeks and you have a good chance of being mostly dry :)

desibob 11-29-2012 08:11 PM

Re: Crazy leakage

Sometimes I have 5 ounces per boob when I pump, depending on whether he nursed before or not. I've been pumping to build up a supply for when I'm not home for any reason and my baby needs food. When I first started pumping I'd get 3 oz total (both breast together), now I'm getting up to 5 oz on right and 3-4 oz on the left. I guess I don't need to pump since I've got quite a few bag stashed, but I'm paranoid that I'll need them.

8 more weeks doesn't soon too bad. Lol. It just seems like it's going to always be this way. Thanks for giving me hope! I feel like he's attached to my boob 24/7. I love spending time with him especially since he started to coo and decided to "talk" to me while nursing. It's pretty cute. I just need a few more breaks a day, but I guess I have to suck it up. Breastfeeding can have its tough times, but he's worth it. :)

Pixi6s 11-29-2012 08:17 PM

Try and catch the milk from the other boob while nursing so it doesn't get everywhere and you can save it.

While I commend you on building up a supply, your body won't calm down and regulate to what your baby needs because you are telling it he needs more. That is part of it.

I didn't start pumping until 4 or 6 weeks as normally recommended. At work 4 days a week I managed to keep my son in breastmilk until 2 weeks before his first birthday. He didn't depend of solids most of his first year either (though they were around). Sounds like you won't have any issues. :) GL

VeganCupcake 11-29-2012 09:34 PM

With my first, I leaked the entire first year. At first, it was a deluge and I was constantly soaked. By the end of the year, I was dry a lot of the time.

With my second, I only leaked for a couple of weeks! I think my body finally figured out what to do (and what not to do!).

PurpleDaffodil 11-29-2012 09:52 PM

have you tried these http://www.mymilkies.com/milksaver I haven't used them, but friends of mine swear by them.

desibob 11-30-2012 12:52 AM

I have a milkies, which is usually on the drying rack. I've gotten a few ounces that way. It's crazy. Just don't bend over to pick up your baby or the milk will gush out and land on your baby and the bassinet :/

I was pumping once a day every other day for three weeks since he was 5 weeks old because I thought my milk would run out. I feel better about my supply, but I'm still paranoid. I guess it's what's making me leak.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-30-2012 06:26 AM

I'm on my 6th baby. I've never been a leaker outside of the first couple of weeks. I'm 7wks out today and still leaking a good bit. It doesn't sound like I'm leaking as much as you are, but I usually have wet spots on my shirt and often have to sit with a burp cloth on the other breast as I nurse so I don't get him or me soaked. I don't pump much. I wish I could, but with 5 other kids, I don't have time. So, it may or may not be related to your pumping. But, I do agree that an oversupply will cause more leaking. I do have a good supply this time. Hopefully, we will both stop soon. :crossfingers:

Van1300 11-30-2012 08:48 AM

Mine is 3 weeks today and I'm still leaking like crazy. I know it is early and I've been pumping once a day to build up a little stash as I have to go back to work in 5 weeks.

I don't remember leaking last time after going back to work. Your body just takes time to regulate, hang in there!

desibob 11-30-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks for the support ladies. I can't wait until he can nurse without choking on milk. He got pretty nuts this morning. I feel do bad. Wish I had a flow adjustment for my breasts.