Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   HELP! I want to work but don't know where to start (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468057)

cmaniezzz 11-29-2012 09:04 PM

HELP! I want to work but don't know where to start

I really want to work out of home.. The thing is I don't know where to start. I don't have a US degree although I'm college graduate in Indonesia. Before I got pregnant, I tried to apply through temp agency, but never got one. But I did work at Chipotle the restaurant for a year before DS is born. I think I can get my old job back there, but I want something more stable.
Should I try temp agency again? or just start working at retail?

MrsCrafty 11-30-2012 10:42 AM

Re: HELP! I want to work but don't know where to start

I'd try a temp agency again, what kind of experience do you have? :goodvibes:

luvsviola 12-02-2012 06:39 PM

What is your degree in?

k_21 12-04-2012 07:28 AM

I second trying the temp agency again. I worked for a university's temp agency off and on for a year, and if I hadn't moved out of state it would have led to a permanent position.

And I'm not sure, but most companies would probably still consider your university degree a positive. Depending on the field you may not be certified to use it in the US, but if nothing else it shows you can put in the work required to complete something challenging and time consuming.

GreyMum 12-04-2012 08:02 AM

Do you have a resume? Are there any large corporations in your area? Also curious what your degree is in and what your work background is. I'm thinking larger manufacturing corporations may well find your background an asset. There is no harm in applying directing to companies, but the question is -- what would you like to do? Do you want to work in an office environment?

bwithfamily 12-04-2012 09:47 AM

I know you said you want to work OUT of the home, but have you considered working from home? I've been working around my 7 year old and 5 year old twins for 5 years now! What I love most is spending time with my family while bringing in the income we need every month! I couldn't imagine looking for a job, let alone having one and worrying about being laid off in this economy! I know it's tough out there and it's great that I get to help so many families in need of a replacement or part time income! If you're interested, feel free to message me for details. There's nothing to sell, no parties, inventory or large investment. I just market for a health and wellness manufacturing company similar to a Costco or Sams Club! :)

TangerineTea 12-19-2012 10:35 PM

You should get your degree evaluated by an accredited degree evaluation company. I am a career counselor and many international job seekers have been able to apply their education and experience from their home country here in the U.S. Based on your degree evaluation results, you may or may not need to take a few extra courses at a local university. Still, that upfront investment would be minimal compared to all the doors that degree will open for you. Depending on what your degree is in, there may be separate licensure necessary including national, state, and county. I would be happy to help you further so feel free to PM me. I am currently giving away 28 hours of career services (1 hour free per person) as part of a Facebook project called Give 28 where you give 28 things in love/kindness in response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook.