Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   convertible cribs? Yea or Ney? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468100)

finleyjudemommy 11-30-2012 06:11 AM

convertible cribs? Yea or Ney?

The title says it all.....would you choose a convertible crib? Why or why not?

s@hmommy 11-30-2012 06:22 AM

Re: convertible cribs? Yea or Ney?

We love ours. DD was in it (sorta) from birth until ds was born 3 years later, and he will do the same until this next lo arrives. I love taking the rail off and not having to worry if they do happen to roll off because it is only a foot or so off the ground.

romansmommy 11-30-2012 06:25 AM

We chose a convertible crib b/c to us it just made sense. We purchased the entire bedroom set so this will be DS's furniture until he moves away from home. It was expensive upfront but in the long run, I think we'll save money. His crib converts to a toddler bed (which he's in now) and then to a full-size bed so it will be plenty big.

s@hmommy 11-30-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romansmommy (Post 15988514)
We chose a convertible crib b/c to us it just made sense. We purchased the entire bedroom set so this will be DS's furniture until he moves away from home. It was expensive upfront but in the long run, I think we'll save money. His crib converts to a toddler bed (which he's in now) and then to a full-size bed so it will be plenty big.

Ours converts to a full size also but ds chewed the top rail so back it looks like a beaver got hold of it.:banghead: Now I have to get a cover made for it, dd never did chew like him.

finleyjudemommy 11-30-2012 06:31 AM

Ok....I just found this....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Free...igComponent_a1

I really need to be as frugal as possible. Looks like I would only need to buy a bed frame when we are ready to use it as a full bed....thoughts?

Pixi6s 11-30-2012 07:24 AM

my son is currently in his converted toddler bed. Unless you are planning to have another child before you child is out of it I think it makes since. Ours doesn't go passed toddler bed.

RunawayBunny 11-30-2012 07:29 AM

I couldnt see on the link (on my phone so it took me to a mobile version), but if you want to use the toddler bed part, I would make sure you are happy with how it converts. We bought two cribs, on for my mom's house and one for us. My mom's has a bed rail for half the length for the toddler stage so its harder for him to fall out. Our crib is just straight across, below the mattress for the toddler stage (more like a toddler day bed). So ds just rolled right out. We stopped using it right away.

I totally second the covering rails in you plan on using past childhood. DS was not at all a biter and I always got him as soon as he woke (and I nursed him to sleep). It only took once and there are a ton of bite marks all over the front. Those cheaper cribs are probably made of pine and it just scratches and dents super easy.

romansmommy 11-30-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunawayBunny
I couldnt see on the link (on my phone so it took me to a mobile version), but if you want to use the toddler bed part, I would make sure you are happy with how it converts. We bought two cribs, on for my mom's house and one for us. My mom's has a bed rail for half the length for the toddler stage so its harder for him to fall out. Our crib is just straight across, below the mattress for the toddler stage (more like a toddler day bed). So ds just rolled right out. We stopped using it right away.

I totally second the covering rails in you plan on using past childhood. DS was not at all a biter and I always got him as soon as he woke (and I nursed him to sleep). It only took once and there are a ton of bite marks all over the front. Those cheaper cribs are probably made of pine and it just scratches and dents super easy.

Ours didn't include a side-rail for the toddler conversion either but I saw an idea on Pinterest where you put a pool noodle along the front under the sheet to create a barrier and it worked perfectly!! Super cheap & easy and now my DS doesn't even need that. Just another idea :)

We did buy the crib rail wrap covers b/c I was paranoid about bite/scratch marks and those worked perfectly!! Our crib seriously looks brand new 3 yrs later!!

OP-if you're going to go with a convertible to get the most use out of it, I'd suggest you buy a really good quality one. The cheaper pressboard type wood just won't hold up.

kanga1622 11-30-2012 11:23 AM

We did for DS even though he will never use it as a full size bed. He did use it as a toddler bed though.

Honestly, it was the one I liked the look of the most and it wasn't any more expensive so figured it was worth it to have the option to use it as a toddler bed and then as a guest bed after the kids move out.

ETA: Your choice is similar to ours but ours had a flat top on the headboard. You do need to buy the metal bed rails when you convert it to a fullsize bed. I have found those at furniture stores for like $50 so pretty cheap in comparison to buying a full frame with headboard.

Nerissa 11-30-2012 01:16 PM

We did a convertable crib for DS1. He was still in the crib till right before DS2 was born. DS1 got a car bed--built in side rails yay!!!, DS2 the crib. When DS2 was ready for a big bed he also got a car bed and the crib went to the spare bedroom. Now DD is in the crib and she will use it as a regular bed.

We went with a higher quality so it will last till they move out.