Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Flu shot? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468164)

JaylasMommy 11-30-2012 10:05 AM

Flu shot?

I realize the OB office has to tell me the risks and all of that "education" on the flu shot while pregnant.
However, I'm curious if anyone here has actually been hospitalized and in the ICU from the flu while pregnant. And are we really immuno-compromised right now?
My BF and I are in agreement that I'm just not going to get it. My reasoning is that I don't give the flu shot to my daughter, why expose my baby to it?

Please, no flames or debate. I'm not asking if it's ok or not. I'm asking for hospitalization stories from the flu while pregnant?

itiswhatitis1984 11-30-2012 10:25 AM

Last year I swore I was never getting the flu shot again!! I got sick with it. Now this flu season I'm pregnant. I initially thought I'm not getting it but then I looked more into it & decided that I was going to get it. My reasoning was the protection for the baby's first 6 months of their life when it's most dangerous & life threatening for them. I didn't want to take that risk. In the future the flu shot won't be a regular shot until I'm back on my meds for rheumatoid arthritis (it's a must then because your immune system is suppressed with meds.). It'll be several years till I will be back on them though :)

amb2j 11-30-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Flu shot?

Good ? Ive been meaning to ask my midwife if the shot is recommended/contraindicated while preg. Ive never had the flu once in my entire life (knock on wood) and only had the flu shot maybe twice, so Im not sure if its even worth it :-)

chandni3 11-30-2012 10:29 AM

I don't do it. I very rarely get the flu. My husband gets it (the flu) every year but not me. He's had it for the last week and I haven't gotten it at all even being pregnant and sick with morning sickness, and I even drank from his hot chocolate cup without thinking. If you are prone to getting the flu then maybe get it, but I can't help worrying that it could have effects on the developing fetus that we don't know about.

s@hmommy 11-30-2012 10:31 AM

I worked for on OB the year they made a huge deal of the H1N1 strain. We had one pregnant patient hospitalized and that was only a precaution. They ladie that trained me said that was the first flu patient he had hospitalized strictly for the flu in the past 5 years.

Steph Ed 11-30-2012 11:05 AM

I got one at the OB office. My doctor 'required' all his patient to get one. I use the term 'required' loosely because I'm sure if I turned it down, he wouldn't have made me get it. Honestly, I told my husband I want him and my other two children to get one since our baby will be born in early Feb. we really don't need a newborn sick with the flu - this is my main motive for getting the shot. to protect the baby. I did feel a tiny bit flu-ish for a couple of days, but it didn't slow me down.

You can check the CDC website I believe for the statistics on flu hospitalization. Actually, here it is:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/hospital.htm

canadianbakers 11-30-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 (Post 15989410)
My reasoning was the protection for the baby's first 6 months of their life when it's most dangerous & life threatening for them. I didn't want to take that risk.

If you contracted the flu while pregnant, baby would be born with those antibodies and continue to get more antibodies if you breastfed. And this would cover baby for whatever strain of flu you contracted, not just the 3 strains the shot covers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb2j (Post 15989413)
Good ? Ive been meaning to ask my midwife if the shot is recommended/contraindicated while preg.

If you read all the papers/info sheets in the package, it's actually contraindicated during pregnancy.
If you ask (most, very near all) care providers, they will tell you the benefits outweigh the risks, because that is what they have decided themselves.

I only know about the info sheet contraindication because my mom is a nurse in a couple offices and she has read all the info - my old family Dr, whom my mom works with in one office, actually refuses to give the flu shot to any pregnant patient. He tells them the info, if they insist that they want it he will refer them to another Dr or an OB.
He is the only Dr I've ever heard of or met who doesn't recommend it, though. Which kinda disturbs me.

ETA: to actually answer the question :hide:
I have never gotten the flu shot. I have never "officially" been diagnosed with the flu, pregnant or not, but I know I have gotten it many times over the years and at least twice while pregnant. I have never been hospitalized with any complications from it.
FWIW, I have asthma, so having the flu or any respiratory infection isn't fun. But, even so, I've been fine to be at home with lots of fluids, rest, warm baths, Tylenol or Advil, and occasionally my puffer.

abunchoflemons 11-30-2012 11:51 AM

I get flu as like another my ob kinda likes us to be but I don't do my oldest as I fear she reacts to it.not sure on 19month girl. I don't get anything nut sore arm for a while. I have antibodies to help baby as I'm due in feb & other 2 were early spring & about the same as the expected one...

KelseyH 11-30-2012 11:59 AM

Please don't get the flu shot: http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/425...regnant-women/

ETA: never had the flu shot, never had the flu.

JaylasMommy 11-30-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers

If you contracted the flu while pregnant, baby would be born with those antibodies and continue to get more antibodies if you breastfed. And this would cover baby for whatever strain of flu you contracted, not just the 3 strains the shot covers.

If you read all the papers/info sheets in the package, it's actually contraindicated during pregnancy.
If you ask (most, very near all) care providers, they will tell you the benefits outweigh the risks, because that is what they have decided themselves.

I only know about the info sheet contraindication because my mom is a nurse in a couple offices and she has read all the info - my old family Dr, whom my mom works with in one office, actually refuses to give the flu shot to any pregnant patient. He tells them the info, if they insist that they want it he will refer them to another Dr or an OB.
He is the only Dr I've ever heard of or met who doesn't recommend it, though. Which kinda disturbs me.

ETA: to actually answer the question :hide:
I have never gotten the flu shot. I have never "officially" been diagnosed with the flu, pregnant or not, but I know I have gotten it many times over the years and at least twice while pregnant. I have never been hospitalized with any complications from it.
FWIW, I have asthma, so having the flu or any respiratory infection isn't fun. But, even so, I've been fine to be at home with lots of fluids, rest, warm baths, Tylenol or Advil, and occasionally my puffer.

So, for the first part, refusing the flu shot and getting the flu will build my baby's body to fight it later? Or the opposite?
I usually get just the normal sickles during the winter. A bath and Tylenol, rest and fluids sounds so much more appealing than a shot I've never received in my life.