Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Insomnia and Anxiety- Need Help Please!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468187)

*TinyJoys* 11-30-2012 12:57 PM

Insomnia and Anxiety- Need Help Please!!!

The last 2 days every time I hit the pillow at night my chest gets tight and I start to feel anxious, despite the fact that I am totally exhausted. This leads to a horrible cycle of insomnia keeping me awake until 5 or 6 am. Luckily the past 2 mornings, by some miracle, my son has slept until 10:30 am, letting me get at least 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I tend to be a more anxious person and worry easily but I simply cannot take this anymore, my eyes are burning from lack of sleep. I am 9 weeks along and hope this ends soon. The exhaustion is aggravating my nausea as well, which still isn't too bad, but if I could only get some sleep I would feel much better. I had this with my pregnancy with my son in the first and third trimester as well. I need help, can anyone give me some advice or ideas on how to deal with this?!

*TinyJoys* 11-30-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Insomnia and Anxiety- Need Help Please!!!

Anyone? :(

cdeweese 11-30-2012 01:45 PM

This happens to me:( I find that turning on the TV or reading really helps me refocus and not worry so much (sometimes I even sleep with the TV on). Deep breathing and counting have never done a thing for me. I would speak with your OB/Midwife. There are a lot of things you can do/take to help calm you down and help you sleep.

AniMommy 11-30-2012 03:01 PM

Talk to your hcp about if you can take benedryl yet. I have CHRONIC insomnia (long before getting pregnant) and after the first tri (I think) my OB said I was fine to take benedryl to get sleep.

What I do that is not drug related. I get up. Nothing is worse than sitting in bed staring at the clock and tossing and turning. I get myself something to drink (milk or juice) and sometimes read (something like a book I've already read) sometimes I watch shopping channels (the constant monotone talking will put me to sleep).

What actually is the best non-drug alternative is listening to self-hypnosis tracks (hypnobabies). They're available as downloads off the internet.

I would check in with a therapist to try to resolve the anxiety that is causing the insomnia.

*TinyJoys* 11-30-2012 03:59 PM

Usually eating a light snack, sipping tea and reading or watching a familiar non-dramatic show or movie will help but last night it didn't because I kept thinking about how I have to sleep. I guess I just need to relax and try not thinking about getting to sleep but just try to let it happen, but its difficult sometimes. I feel like I need a miracle. I might try massaging some lavender into my temples and neck and see if that helps, maybe I'll try the warm milk idea too.

twinpossible 11-30-2012 04:19 PM

To help both the morning sickness and the insomnia I would take Unisom and vit. b6 every night. I did that for the first trimester and it made a world of a difference. This was recommended to me by several friends as well as my midwife. Good luck mama, I know how much this sucks!

amb2j 11-30-2012 08:15 PM

I second The hypnobabies. I've had insomnia off and on prepreg. While preg this time, I had a spell of it. What helped on the really bad nights was taking just a half a Benadryl tablet and listening to any of my hypnobabies CDs. On a less bad night I could just listen to the CDs- I've never gotten through more than 1.5 tracks without falling back to sleep :)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

luvof3boyz 12-02-2012 10:59 PM

I had to take a unisome my whole pregnancy. I only got insomnia with my 3rd. It is so awful. I even had it postpartum for awhile which was nice b/c I was up anyway. I feel awful for you it is tough.

luvsviola 12-02-2012 11:03 PM

I have to have the TV on. My brain won't shut off. The TV distracts the brain from thinking about all the things I have to do/worries and lets my brain veg. I like to fall asleep to "How Its Made" or other documentaries.

happy2beamom 12-03-2012 10:46 AM

So, sometimes my anxiety makes me 'flip and flop' for hours at night - to the point my legs ache and i ache all over. I started taking magnesium (it helps relax your body) right before bed (actually after i've read to calm down i take the magnesium). I've noticed a big improvement in getting my 'muscles' to calm down, which makes me less anxious. I'd talk to your OB etc to make sure it is safe (i was told it was, but i'd check with your doctor) and try that. :hugs: Oh, and i now take it with my calcium pill because the magnesium allows the calcium to be absorbed better by your body!