Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Need help with back carry (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468197)

Miss squish 11-30-2012 01:32 PM

Need help with back carry

Ds is 6 1/2 months close to 17 lbs and 28 inches. I have an ergo that ivebeen using since he got too heavy for the moby to feel sturdy enough and I have loved it more than I thought. I have been wearing ds on my back now more recently as its more comfortable. Today was only the third or fourth time I've carried him on my back while out, and this time he fell asleep. He's tall enough his head was waaaaay back, I can't believe he was sleeping that way lol! I caught sight of him in the reflection of the frozen food case and tried to wiggle him into a better position but only succeeded in waking him up screaming. He will NOT wear the hood either so I can't put it on him to support his head in case he falls asleep.

Is this to be expected with an SSC as he gets taller? I know other carriers have longer bodies but he will eventually outgrow them too. I'm wondering if I should get a woven and go back to wrapping him and leave the ergo for his father when we are out together. Will we have the same dangling head issue in a back carry with a wrap or can I support him better that way?

OrchidMama 12-03-2012 02:36 AM

Re: Need help with back carry

I would like to know too. I just got started and this is how I do it. My baby is small though. She's 26 inches and 12 ish lbs. I would like to find the best back carry for a sleeping baby.

greenmama52 12-03-2012 07:54 AM

I was able to put the hood on once my DD would fall asleep. But that might wake him up too. If he doesn't like the hood, he might not want his head under a wrap either?

lynn97 12-03-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss squish
Ds is 6 1/2 months close to 17 lbs and 28 inches. I have an ergo that ivebeen using since he got too heavy for the moby to feel sturdy enough and I have loved it more than I thought. I have been wearing ds on my back now more recently as its more comfortable. Today was only the third or fourth time I've carried him on my back while out, and this time he fell asleep. He's tall enough his head was waaaaay back, I can't believe he was sleeping that way lol! I caught sight of him in the reflection of the frozen food case and tried to wiggle him into a better position but only succeeded in waking him up screaming. He will NOT wear the hood either so I can't put it on him to support his head in case he falls asleep.

Is this to be expected with an SSC as he gets taller? I know other carriers have longer bodies but he will eventually outgrow them too. I'm wondering if I should get a woven and go back to wrapping him and leave the ergo for his father when we are out together. Will we have the same dangling head issue in a back carry with a wrap or can I support him better that way?

This is a downside to the Ergo - they're just really short. I hated feeling like my DS was falling out so I got a different carrier and got rid of the Ergo.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Miss squish 12-05-2012 07:25 PM

Yeah as he gets bigger I understand why people feel like the length of the ergo is a downside. Glad it was bought used on CL because I don't know how long we can use it. Even on the front his armpits are above the body, he likes having his arms out but it feels a little less secure when he really starts to twist and arch to see or touch things.

Is it better to get a different SSC or a wrap? Can I wrap him more securely?

sweetDD 12-05-2012 10:11 PM

Not familiar with wrap but does ergo has a safety buckles connected to the hood?? our carrier has that so when my baby is sleeping I just buckle it.

http://mamaonagreenmission.com/wp-co.../IMG_38941.jpg

If this don't work maybe you can try the suggestion of a mom I've seen in a forum using a long scarp, put diagonally on your back. then knot it infront making sure that the scarp is supporting the sleeping head of baby in a comfortable position.

Miss squish 12-12-2012 03:16 PM

The scarf is a great idea! I didn't put it diagonally, I tied it between the straps just above the body of the carrier. He fell asleep on a walk I was wearing him on the front and the scarf cradled his head while he fell asleep and then I put him against my chest. Going to try this with him on my back next.

Not going to be a permanent fix but gives me time to consider another carrier.