Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help! Just found out I'm pregnant, and low progesterone, but cannot afford the meds! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468203)

crunchymamaNY 11-30-2012 12:54 PM

Help! Just found out I'm pregnant, and low progesterone, but cannot afford the meds!

On Wed, I had a quant done with a level of 7. And today (4 hours shy of the 48 hour mark) my levels are 28 which is great! My progesterone levels are low (according to the midwife) and she ordered crinone gel, but when I went to pick it up, they said they'd have to order it, and it will cost me $740!!! I don't have that kind of money. I called my MD who is also a OB, and the nurse is letting her know of my situation, but they said they don't like to deal with prenatal patients unless they are their own. I tried to explain to them that the midwife I go through was already closed for the weekend, and didn't want to lose this pregnancy as I already lost one several months ago. So, now I'm waiting to see if they will help me, and meanwhile, I'm freaking out.

I don't know what progesterone levels indicate other than if they are low, I can have a MC. What can I do?

loving my family 11-30-2012 01:02 PM

Re: Help! Just found out I'm pregnant, and low progesterone, but cannot afford the me

I have no idea but I couldn't read this and not send :hugs: and prayers to you.
Hopefully someone else will know.

snugglesnsunshine 11-30-2012 01:02 PM

Find out exactly how low they are. My doc likes for levels to be over 25. But I have read that very early in pregnancy it can be normal for them to be closer to 15-20 in the first week or two after finding out. I get progesterone suppositories and they are $120 a month. Maybe ask for that instead? I do have to have a doc prescription and they are compounded at a compounding pharmacy.
Also, if you go to your MD office and whine enough, they may appease you, lol.
Good luck, mama! And congrats! :goodvibes:

crunchymamaNY 11-30-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Help! Just found out I'm pregnant, and low progesterone, but cannot afford the me

My level is 4.7

HillbillyMama 11-30-2012 01:11 PM

You may can get it cheaper if the actual clinic/office you use orders it for you...But that would have to be called in or ordered by your MW/OB....Hoping you hear back from someone soon and they get you some ASAP!

Joyful Tie Dyes 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

Could you use the bioidentical OTC progesterone in the meantime?

happymama1 11-30-2012 02:01 PM

I have always used prometrium 200mg 1x a day until 12 weeks. Its about $150 out of pocket, but that's not bad by comparison!

:hugs:

erin_c_odonnell 11-30-2012 02:15 PM

Yeah shop around. I found a place that was only $90 a month. Someplaces get cheaper the more you buy (bulk) and I would use the too cream till then :hugs:

Mom2ManyBlessings 11-30-2012 02:20 PM

I use an Organic Progesterone Cream I get off Amazon and it works awesome. $34ish for a bottle. Ive used it with low progesterone through my last 3 pregnancies :) Its a brownish bottle with a woman w/a basket on her head as the picture on it. My friend with super low progesterone uses it with great results raising hers as well.
Amazon has 1 and 2 day shipping options (with prime 2 day is free and 1 day is $3.99)

crunchymamaNY 11-30-2012 02:32 PM

Is the OTC as effective? Why would Rx be so much more than the OTC then?

Oh the dr wants to wait until monday to call around. I guess she doesn't want to be bothered with my pregnancy.

Is 4.7 really low?