Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Where to Start? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468247)

jaxoncasemom 11-30-2012 03:42 PM

Where to Start?

I know my son is probably a little young, but he is showing interest in learning to use the potty. In fact every morning we both get up and I'll use the "big" potty while he uses his little one beside me (even wiping his little "man buisness" with toilet paper haha) He is going to be 19 months on Dec 24. So I don't think I would potty train him as much as just try to get him use to the potty more.. I don't know and besides that I don't know where to start with potty training especially since I would really like to use cloth trainers.. Please help!
Are there any good methods out there to try?
As you can see this is my first child! :D Thanks

superfox 12-02-2012 06:54 PM

:) he's actually at a good age and it sounds like he's learning. I highly recommend Oh Crap potty training method. Look it up :)

Good luck!

cdeweese 12-02-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Where to Start?

It depends on what you consider "potty trained" and what you are willing to do in the meantime :giggle: DS is 20 months and asks to go potty anytime his sister goes. We let him on the toilet, let him wipe, wash his hands, etc. He LOVES it :) BUT he is still unable to inform me WHEN he needs to go, so for us he's not ready. When DD first started doing the same thing at the same age we started potty training and it was a disaster :( She was peeing everywhere and was humiliated if she got wet in any way (she's always hated being wet). We aren't into EC so I wasn't willing to pick her up and run to the toilet every time she started to go so we waited and at 23 months she was daytime potty trained. So much easier and she understood so much more :)

strongwoman 12-04-2012 10:52 PM

DS1 started showing interest at about the same time as yours. Once I was more at home and then full time at home, I just took the leap, put him in undies and cleaned up the messes. I didn't even know that cloth trainers existed at that time, but we also did not use disposable pull-ups. He's been independent, aside from wiping after poops, since 2.5 yo and now, at 3.5 yo he's dry 75% during nap and night time. If you want to save money, skip the special trainers and just take the plunge with undies. I've started training DS2 with undies, but it's a lot more difficult since I have an infant to take care of as well. I think I just need to commit to it and be consistent. I hope your training goes well!

Katie Mae 12-10-2012 08:46 AM

Yeah, I agree with just jumping in and trying. And the point of what you consider "potty trained" looks like. I consider DD potty trained, but we still have accidents. A lot of pee accidents. I also read every book my library had on potty training and took bits and pieces out of every book to do what worked for us. Good luck!

ummsmiley 12-12-2012 11:16 AM

Sounds like he's ready. It's not too early at all! Every child is different. My youngest of five started going to the potty on her own at 19 mths. For the first month or two she ran around bottomless and would just go sit on the potty without warning whenever she had to go. I couldn't believe it because none of my older 4 kids did that. When I tried to put bottoms on her she would pee in them so I kept her bottomless a little while longer and made sure I said " your going potty" when she sat herself down, a few weeks later she said to me"your goin potty! Your goin potty!" in a hurried....I'm gonna pee on myself voice. I picked her up and put her on the potty. After that she started verbalizing that she needed to go. She will turn two next week and has only had like 3 accidents since since she was 19 mths. She hasn't even wet the bed. My other four weren't nearly as easy and I have a three year old that has more accidents than she does but I say all this to say that each child is different and I just follow their lead. Many people practice elimination communication and put there newborns on potties and it works! Most children in other countries are potty trained waaaay sooner than kids here, so just keep an open mind.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

Zanocz 12-16-2012 11:42 AM

If they are showing interest than go for it!!! I pushed my 2 in a half year old and he is completely refusing to go now :(