Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Family Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   How big of a family (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468301)

mkrisel 11-30-2012 06:53 PM

How big of a family

I KNOW this isn't a question anyone can answer for us, but how did you decide how many children to have. I always assumed two (which we have now). DH wants three, but is fine with two. We won't be making any decisions for a while as the you gets is 3 weeks old, but this is eating at me! Some outside perspective could help settle my unease. Thanks!

lynn97 11-30-2012 10:29 PM

I would wait a year or so to make any kind of decision, just enjoy being a family of four and see what you think dwn the road :-)

lecialefty 12-01-2012 08:42 AM

As of right now we don't have a set number, makes things easy for us.

MrsAsh 12-02-2012 09:25 PM

Re: How big of a family

Quote:

Originally Posted by lecialefty (Post 15992750)
As of right now we don't have a set number, makes things easy for us.

:yeahthat:

And I am pretty sure we will never set a number.

qsefthuko 12-02-2012 09:31 PM

I think for my husband and I a lot was based on what was perceived as normal to us. My husband is one of three. I am one of 12. He wanted 3 kids which we now have. I wanted 12 kids which because of infertility we will never have. When I told him how many I wanted he thought I was joking so never argued for a lesser amount. I wasn't joking and assumed he was on board. Because of infertilty it has never been an issue. I consider us fortunate to have 3 kids although we are now hoping we may yet have a fourth.

firemommaof1 12-02-2012 09:36 PM

It really is hard to define the number of kids :giggle: I always say we'll see how it goes... then add another one and see how things are after that. After my third I wanted another one for sure! Like telling hubs "we are so doing this again!" after I pushed her out... now she is 18 months old and I like our little family. We leave the door open for more but I don't know if it will happen or not. We both agree right now isn't the time.. but it's nice to know we might not be done. Sorry I'm no help lol. Enjoy your little family of four right now and worry about the next one later ((hugs))

Erinne 12-08-2012 09:55 PM

We have one and plan for one more. Before dd, we thought 2, maybe 3, but she was incredibly colicky and is still just a high needs kid, so we've decided definitely just 2. The financial aspect is another huge factor for us, not that a 3rd would break us, but it would just make a lot of things much harder. I think sometimes my perspective gets skewed by being here and seeing so many larger families, but really, I know we'll be happy with 2.

raymark 12-08-2012 10:15 PM

Because you always want what you can't have our final outcome will be based on finances......but I suppose if expanding our family didn't require $$$$ medical procedures or adoption our final outcome would still be based on finances.

DH and I feel responsible for providing well for our children & our own retirement. Right now we are trying for #5 & 6. If our finances continue to improve there could be more? But, our 20yr old lives next to her college & in less than a year our 18yr old will be moving into dorms. I can't imagine actually having 6 kids under our roof at the same time, but I won't say it will never happen.

trvlrschick 12-10-2012 02:57 PM

H and I always say we never want to be outnumbered. I'm due with #1 in March right now, and we might have a second, depending on how this one goes. H has health issues and energy level issues that might make that unlikely, though.

ERISAmom 12-13-2012 12:18 PM

I wanted 1, DH wanted 0. He gave in. I had such an easy pregnancy, labor and delivery - and I love being a sahm, so I've been lobbying for 2 more. DH is pretty firm on 1. Unless there's an oops, we're probably going to stay at 1.