Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Another Biter! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468352)

Sugar&SpiceX3 11-30-2012 11:04 PM

Another Biter!

My 10.5 month old has taken to biting. Hard! She has just the two teeth on bottom and that is bad enough. Not sure what to do because I have tried taking her off and she still bites the next time. I went through this same thing with my middle DD at around the same age and she weaned by 11.5 months with me putting up a big fight. She drew blood quite often and then just refused completely. :( She had not gained and was even labeled FTT.

I know this is a common problem apparently, but I never really find any good info that works or maybe there is something I am missing as to why she is biting. I don't want this to be her weaning as well and it would honestly break my heart. My husband watched in agony the last time at me trying and being continually bit but I was determined, only to fail anyway.

I really don't think it is her wanting to be done only because she still nurses very frequently and as a special nursing whine lol that signals when she wants to. I just don't want to get to the point where I am tense about nursing or fearful of the big chomp. Oh and if it helps, it's usually a couple sucks and then a bite and then repeat.

l_Kimmie_l 12-01-2012 07:40 AM

Re: Another Biter!

I have no advice accept it is my worst fear with DS. He just got a tooth and hasn't started yet. His brother used to bite me so bad that like you, I bled, would tense up, wait for the big chomp, and eventually just pumped and weaned at about 11 1/2 months. I had enough breast milk stored for him to eat till 12 months, but I would like to nurse this time through the biting phase. My 2nd son never bit...I so hope this one is like him.

I hope you can get the baby to stop biting and not have to go through what you did last time. Maybe flick the cheek when she does it. I am not sure how you feel about that or if it even works.

mommy24babes 12-02-2012 09:12 AM

I am currently going through this with number 4
It does get better if you can stick it out. ((hugs))

A few things I can think of off the top of my head.

Watch her when she is nursing. When she is nursing her tongue is between those teeth and your nipple. If you can catch her as she is moving her tongue out of the way it may give you enough warning to get a finger in there before she clamps down. .

Try hard not to react. I know easier said than done. You don't want her to do it more because she thinks your reaction is funny.

If she is clamped on pull her in towards your breast rather than away. So that your breast is covering her nose. That will make her unclamp rather than dragging her teeth across you. Calmly and firmly tell her no biting it hurts and put her down don't nurse her for say the next 10-15 minutes even if she signals to nurse.

Make sure you are drinking enough and try to relax. Sometimes biting is the result of frustration or boredom.

Finally if she draws blood continue nursing on that side. and try to keep the wound moist.
I know it seems counterintuitive but keeping it moist will help it heal more quickly. It will not hurt as much as you would think after the initial latch.

Sugar&SpiceX3 12-03-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 15992399)
I have no advice accept it is my worst fear with DS. He just got a tooth and hasn't started yet. His brother used to bite me so bad that like you, I bled, would tense up, wait for the big chomp, and eventually just pumped and weaned at about 11 1/2 months. I had enough breast milk stored for him to eat till 12 months, but I would like to nurse this time through the biting phase. My 2nd son never bit...I so hope this one is like him.

I hope you can get the baby to stop biting and not have to go through what you did last time. Maybe flick the cheek when she does it. I am not sure how you feel about that or if it even works.

Thanks for your input. I hope yours stays off the biting this time around. Sadly it has just gotten worse and worse for us. I know that it's not a supply issue as last night I was full and could feel it and she still went to chomping. I've just started taking her off everytime now but she still manages to do some damage before I can get her. She's a quick one, even when I am watching closely.

Sugar&SpiceX3 12-03-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy24babes (Post 15995920)
I am currently going through this with number 4
It does get better if you can stick it out. ((hugs))

A few things I can think of off the top of my head.

Watch her when she is nursing. When she is nursing her tongue is between those teeth and your nipple. If you can catch her as she is moving her tongue out of the way it may give you enough warning to get a finger in there before she clamps down. .

Try hard not to react. I know easier said than done. You don't want her to do it more because she thinks your reaction is funny.

If she is clamped on pull her in towards your breast rather than away. So that your breast is covering her nose. That will make her unclamp rather than dragging her teeth across you. Calmly and firmly tell her no biting it hurts and put her down don't nurse her for say the next 10-15 minutes even if she signals to nurse.

Make sure you are drinking enough and try to relax. Sometimes biting is the result of frustration or boredom.

Finally if she draws blood continue nursing on that side. and try to keep the wound moist.
I know it seems counterintuitive but keeping it moist will help it heal more quickly. It will not hurt as much as you would think after the initial latch.

Man I tried so hard to not react the last few times, but she got me so good. One morning I was half awake and didn't even have time to stop myself from yelling out. She is doing it every single time she eats now. She has always been such a natural nurser, had no problems this whole time, not even soreness in the beginning. I guess we were bound to hit a roadblock.:banghead:

I hope your LO stops biting too. :hugs:

mommy24babes 12-03-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar&SpiceX3

Man I tried so hard to not react the last few times, but she got me so good. One morning I was half awake and didn't even have time to stop myself from yelling out. She is doing it every single time she eats now. She has always been such a natural nurser, had no problems this whole time, not even soreness in the beginning. I guess we were bound to hit a roadblock.:banghead:

I hope your LO stops biting too. :hugs:

I'm sorry I know how hard it is. Between my 4 I have cried it hurt so much!

I hope it stops for you soon.
If it helps it did eventually stop. I went on to nurse them for years after.