Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fibroids & pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468379)

leviandgarettsmom 12-01-2012 06:06 AM

Fibroids & pregnancy

Went for my 1st appt & ultrasound yesterday. I'm 6w6d & she found a fibroid up above the gestational sac. She said it was nothing to be concerned about, so I'm not really. Just would like to hear from other's who have had fibroids. I've never had one before & it wasn't there in March when I m/c @ 8w. So it has developed in the last 8 months.

3 ladybugs 12-01-2012 07:41 AM

Re: Fibroids & pregnancy

I don't have personal experience but when I was in the NICU with DD I met a woman who delivered triplets at 30 weeks who had a fibroid. She told me that she got stretch marks from it. 30 weeks is pretty good for triplets so I don't think it effected her much.

Good luck!

lynn97 12-01-2012 10:27 AM

It really just depends on the mama. We discovered that I had 3 fibroids when I was pg w/DS. They were discovered at the 20-week u/s. two were small and there was never any concern. One was large and was near the placenta. There was concern that it would potentially take away nutrition from baby at some point so I had u/s every 4 weeks for the rest of my pg to monitor its size and make sure baby was growing properly and that the cord was fine. Everything was perfect and I ended up delivering 3 days after my due date (we talked about having to take the baby early if his health was compromised at any point along the way although it wasn't anticipated that this would happen before 34 weeks). The other big concern for fibroids is that they can inhibit the birthing process by blocking the birth canal. Mine was up high do this was never a concern for me.

Unfortunately, I had some postpartum complications. I don't want to scare you by posting the details but everything ended up being fine in the end (so far at least). I will talk about it if you really want to know but I have seen that you've had some problems so hopefully these won't be added to them. Fibroids are pretty common though. If I recall correctly, something like 1/3 of women have them by the time they're 35. For most, they don't ever cause any big problems. I have a couple friends that have them and they never had any issues during or after pregnancy. Like me, they just had lots of extra u/s.

Also, I got huge! I don't know what I was measuring at the end but I consistently measured way ahead. I looked about 24 weeks pregnant at 16 weeks. I only gained 26 lbs and DS was 7lbs 5oz but I really was massive by the end. It doesn't help that I'm only 5'2" and 120 lbs normally though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

33andunder 12-01-2012 10:58 AM

Re: Fibroids & pregnancy

When I had my C/S with DD the OB found fibroids. I don't believe that this caused any complications with my next pregnancy.

RunawayBunny 12-01-2012 12:38 PM

I have one- also discovered after my miscarriage. My RE was not at all concerned and mentioned it kind of nonchalantly. I can update after my 20-week u/s on Monday, but it hasnt been a problem so far.

leviandgarettsmom 12-01-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunawayBunny (Post 15993502)
I have one- also discovered after my miscarriage. My RE was not at all concerned and mentioned it kind of nonchalantly. I can update after my 20-week u/s on Monday, but it hasnt been a problem so far.

That would be great! I'm interested to hear how its progressed, if it has. My u/s nurse acted like it was no big deal too.