Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Diaper pricing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468460)

Carebearmom22 12-01-2012 12:16 PM

Diaper pricing

How do people come up with used prices for diapers on this site? Are there guidelines? Thanks!

luvof3boyz 12-01-2012 06:33 PM

Re: Diaper pricing

I do not think there are guidlines because people are all over the place with prices. I have even seen prices of more then they cost brand new! In my experience I sell and buy only at 50% or less of the new price. That is ppd, shipping included. My items sell very fast that way. Really popular diapers you can get more on. Also hot prints that are hard to find will cost more. Wool is always expensive and close to retail price.

It is unbelieveable that people want almost asking price for a pooped stained, holey, loose elastic diaper. I always ask for a lower price if it doesn't say firm price. Almost everyone does. Sometimes I will accept a lower price and sometimes they are too low.

There are great deals to be had. Just look often. Ask lots of questions and ask for more pictures if there are not enough. Good luck.

c&w's mama 12-02-2012 11:56 AM

Sometimes I wonder, as a buyer and a seller what people were thinking :)

This is entirely subjective. I personally make up very specific prices. I over estimate the usage (so people are surprised in a good way about condition) and subtract from original purchase price based on usage-- I figure, like a car, you loose value once you drive it off the lot and it goes down from there. Currently, personally, I'm selling things that have never been used, or only very slightly because the didn't work for me. When I sell the stuff that does work for us, the price will be drastically (!) different because it will truly be used! Some people, both buyers and sellers, put a price on prepping items-- it can be a real resource saver for the buyer- if you see it that way. I can't sell stuff I virtually just tried on for 50% of original value, but have no intention of asking that much for things in rotation for months! The condition of the items I sell later will set my price-- no idea right now. I am also very happy telling people how I got to a price if they want to talk about it, but have no idea if other sellers feel the same.

I find reasonable offers acceptable- and welcome- as do most people, I think. We're all looking for a good deal! I really try to set very exact prices, but I'm not sure everyone does-- from what I've seen, maybe others set prices with room for bargaining in there and I'm going about this wrong. And the more someone buys, the easier it is to subtract from my shipping costs- as a seller, I'm happy to give that to the buyer. But I set my prices so you can try just 2 if that's what you need to not overbuy and just try. The very occasional "vulture" offers really bug me, but I have only personally seen a couple. I think on the whole, there are mostly nice to fabulous mamas on here- every so often I get a super lowball and I wonder if they're just looking for a desperate seller because they never write back.

Value is subjective so I say offer what you think its worth. If a price is crazy high, might want to just skip the listing all together. Someone else will always be selling tomorrow. I would think it would make sense to watch the board for a set time period to help you get a feel for what's available at what price. No one wants to over pay.

I'm no expert... I hope they will weigh in on your question :) I'd like to know how others set prices.

cdeweese 12-02-2012 12:06 PM

I try to guesstimate what the item will ship for (including packaging), see if any sales are going on and lastly check what others are selling for. I try to be the lowest priced and I'm normally open to trades/offers. Most of my diapers look almost new when I sell and I try to make sure I'm VERY thourough in my description :)