Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   jarred baby food stools vs homemade food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468518)

cassie.sattler 12-01-2012 03:06 PM

jarred baby food stools vs homemade food

well for the first few months i made all of owens food! i loved it! until he was old enough to receive wic provided jarred foods. and while im broke feeding jars is free vs. home made.
his stools seem well formed on home made food but the jarred food gives him almost ebf looking stools. i puréed all my food well. whats the gig? its grossing me out. im not a fan of jars but i cant afford to make my sons food all the time (which i will start making the varieties that are not in jars so he can have a little of everything)

are there stool softeners in jarred foods or something?

sunnyllama 12-02-2012 06:39 AM

Re: jarred baby food stools vs homemade food

There is a lot more water and other thinners in jarred foods as well as preservatives that keep the food fresher longer. These can definitely play a part in digestion:(

cassie.sattler 12-02-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyllama (Post 15995732)
There is a lot more water and other thinners in jarred foods as well as preservatives that keep the food fresher longer. These can definitely play a part in digestion:(

i thought canning was the only preservative? by law dont they have to state every last thing in the food?

regardless hes getting homemade food most times (iv been making the jars into smoothies and adding to sauces!)

abunchoflemons 12-02-2012 08:05 AM

Preservatives to and other things than homemade food from my experience.

KelseyH 12-02-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassie.sattler

i thought canning was the only preservative? by law dont they have to state every last thing in the food?

Somewhat OT, but Splenda is processed with chlorine and that's not put on the label. There might not be a preservative ADDITIVE, but a type of processing or an ingredient in the processing that doesn't have to be listed if it's all "removed" during processing. Like there is *technically* no chlorine in Splenda... Yeah, I'm still not going to trust that it's safe/consumable.

ETA: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0...nd-pink-slime/

http://www.zerbos.com/common/news/st...de162ffc8cabf9

blueone 12-03-2012 12:14 PM

I've noticed that jar food has no chunks an is thinner. The homemade food has chunks and isn't nearly as thin unless purposely done so that way. We use jar food mostly (we're on wic) in the Earths Best brand. She prefers the chunk free version and has an easier time digesting it. She won't take my homemade food sadly. Some day soon though I hope. She has a hard time digesting chunks and they cause a lot of silent reflux flares.

cassie.sattler 12-03-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueone (Post 16000253)
I've noticed that jar food has no chunks an is thinner. The homemade food has chunks and isn't nearly as thin unless purposely done so that way. We use jar food mostly (we're on wic) in the Earths Best brand. She prefers the chunk free version and has an easier time digesting it. She won't take my homemade food sadly. Some day soon though I hope. She has a hard time digesting chunks and they cause a lot of silent reflux flares.

i didnt know you could get eaths best on wic. well the one jar i bought of earths best was actually solidly formed when he pooped! ill switch next month and see how it goes! sadly rainbow only had gerber and beech nut. i chose beech nut...

Jomama521 12-08-2012 07:30 AM

I notice too the store babyfood is much thinner, as though the fiber is removed or it is super watery. I don't have enough posts to put up a link but just google FDA labeling guidelines for more info. If an ingredient effects the product in any way it must be on the label, therefore preservatives are supposed to be listed.

blackberry75 01-01-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassie.sattler (Post 16000379)
i didnt know you could get eaths best on wic. well the one jar i bought of earths best was actually solidly formed when he pooped! ill switch next month and see how it goes! sadly rainbow only had gerber and beech nut. i chose beech nut...

I'm pretty sure you can only get what is listed on the tickets or in the pamphlet that lists all the approved foods. If you want a different brand it has to be prescribed by your doctor as well as a reason for the Rx. At least that's what I was told by my case worker. We get WIC to, but I don't like the jarred food so I just use my veggie coupon to get the foods to make for bean. Otherwise it would be to expensive to make her food homemade.

cdeweese 01-02-2013 06:05 AM

You can get Earths Best in Texas also. We don't use checks (we have the card) and jarred baby food is not interchangeable with produce of any kind here :(