Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Donating is easier (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468567)

indigo152 12-01-2012 07:23 PM

Donating is easier

My basement has become a nightmarish place. Besides the occasional creepy spider it has also gotten overrun with...STUFF! I had designated an empty area for items to sell or donate. At times I had made progress by actually selling or donating, but recently things have just been sitting there, taking up space!
I had three large boxes packed to take to the children's consignment store. However, I hadn't made time to go there, and the thought of taking the boxes and two small children to the store sounded a bit unrealistic. Today I made a decision (after running it by my husband) to donate all of the children's items that I was going to try to consign for money.
I have made a friend through Freecycle who volunteers at a local Crises Pregnancy Center. She came to my house today, and took away four large bags, and a large box of stuff. It felt so good to clear items out of my house, and also know that they are going to a good cause where people in need can use them. It was also much easier than attempting to make that trip to the consignment store.

Tis the season to be generous, right?

Funnyfarmmomma 12-01-2012 07:26 PM

Wonderful mama!
I was just saying this same thing to dh just an hour ago!

Addicted2Chocolate 12-01-2012 07:55 PM

That's fantastic. Those will women and kids are going to really appreciate it.

cdeweese 12-01-2012 07:57 PM

Re: Donating is easier

Absolutely! I LOVE consigning kids items, but when it comes to large amounts (or sized things) and they'll pick it up, I'm all for donating!

Resellmybelle 12-01-2012 08:28 PM

YES! It feels so good to freecycle and every time our charity truck comes which is about once every six weeks, I make sure to have things ready. I just put the card that comes in the mail on my calendar for a reminder then set the things on the porch in the morning with the card showing so they know it's for them. It's been working!

Another thing I have been doing is putting bags of little things in the trunk to pop in those donate bins while out running errands. And if I am going thrifting, which I have seriously cut down on, I make sure to take a few bags to the store to donate before I shop.

We sell plenty, so I think it's great to pass along our blessings (or cursed clutter in some cases, lol) for others to use.

Sometimes, just telling myself I got my money's worth out of the item is enough.

clothlover8 12-01-2012 08:38 PM

Yep, I don't sell much at all. Donating is instant, I don't have to think about it again and it is helping someone else which is wonderful! I do struggle sometimes to let go because money is such an issue for us but often selling doesn't really make all that much anyway when you put in time, travel, shipping etc.
Also it makes me think twice before spending money in the first place.

TypeAMom 12-01-2012 08:51 PM

Great job OP! I recently sold some stuff which is rare for me as I usually just bring it to Goodwill. Any way it gets out of your house is good. OK, donating to those in need or getting money from a sale is way better than straight to a landfill.

Anna0623 12-07-2012 05:19 PM

I only keep the really nice items and try to sell them, after a month I donate those items to someone I know needs the items or could use them. There have been plenty of times when I found out someone needed something I had saved for a future baby or something I was trying to sell and I just gave the items away. I do that often with cloth diapers,as well. I have helped two friends start stashes thanks to this site and have made it a goal to ffs more items than I receive.

elizabeth.scalf 12-07-2012 06:12 PM

Agree with donating. Other than one yard sale that I attempted over the summer (never again) I won't bother with anything on craigslist. We have two fishtanks that we've been wanting to sell for a few hundred a piece but honestly, I'm ready to just donate them to the local wildlife refuge and get rid of them, even if we could get $500 from selling them. Just not worth the effort. Donating is instant, and it's gone, and you don't have to think or second guess yourself.

rawheid 12-07-2012 08:25 PM

I agree, we also live too far from the city that no one is ever willing to come and pick up. Plus it isn't worth delivering either. I just need to remember to take the boxes when i go to town.