Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is it time to give up? :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468591)

Stamina 12-01-2012 08:38 PM

Is it time to give up? :(

My little lady is now 9 weeks old, and we have struggled with nursing since the beginning. Early on, she had frequent choking and gasping episodes that we had thought were caused by my overactive let-down and oversupply. I saw my lactation consultant and her pediatrician about it, and they agreed that was likely the problem. Soon, other symptoms appeared in addition to her choking/gasping and constant hiccups. She started gagging randomly, arching her back, refused to lay down, etc. I took her back to the ped who diagnosed her with reflux :(. I decided to try probiotics before starting her on meds. I've attempted elimination diets in the meantime with little effect.

Things took a turn for the worst these last couple of weeks. After a few particularly awful choking episodes, she has gone on a major nursing strike. She refuses to latch and will protest until we are both in tears. I started Prevacid in hopes of getting her pain under control. Her symptoms have improved but she still refuses to nurse. I tried the recommendations on KellyMom for nursing strikes with no luck. My lactation consultant recommended that I stick to pumping and feeding by bottle because syringe/cup feeding cause choking.

I have tried to get her to latch for every feeding for nearly two weeks now without success. Not forcing her, just encouraging her to latch. She obviously has an aversion to the breast because she associates it with choking and pain :(. I'm so sad and stressed. I do not know what to do next. Should I just go to exclusive pumping for her? I don't want her to be under stress or in pain. I want to do what is best for her, even if it means that we have to stop :(.

Sorry so long - thank you for reading!

MsGiggles 12-01-2012 08:43 PM

Re: Is it time to give up? :(

:hugs: So sorry, mama. You obviously have her best interests at heart. I hope you can come to a decision and be at peace with it, either way. :hugs: My daughter rejected the breast, and it was really painful to be rejected so often. Know it is the breast, not you, she is rejecting!

cdeweese 12-01-2012 08:54 PM

No matter HOW you feed your baby, you are trying your best :) Trying your best and not succeeding is ok! You can always exclusively pump or do so for a while and try nursing a little later (a friend of mine was able to do this successfully). :hugs:

garness 12-01-2012 08:55 PM

I don't have any advice, but wanted to say that I'm sorry you are going through this. It must be very stressful.

Wapondi 12-01-2012 09:07 PM

I don't have advice either but wanted to let you know that you are doing a great job! How stressful to have her reject the breast over and over. I've also had major nursing issues and I know how stressful it is. Maybe you can pump for a couple of weeks, see if the Prevacid kicks in and then re-offer the breast?

firemommaof1 12-01-2012 09:15 PM

You are doing a great job. I hope you are able to continue to breastfeed ((hugs)) I've never had a problem with breast refusal so I don't have much advice to offer. You are doing a fantastic job and either way your a wonderful mommy!

mariannec32 12-01-2012 09:21 PM

I feel your pain. :(. I struggled for months and fought until the bitter end to nurse my son and was unfortunately given no other option but to quit. My story is long so I won't get into it, but whatever decision you come to I hope you know how wonderful it is that you have given it your all. It sounds like you have really done everything you can.

Hugs mama!!!

mommy24babes 12-01-2012 09:28 PM

(((hugs)))
Have you tried a total elimination diet for a couple weeks solid? it can take a couple of weeks with nothing to see a difference.
I know even the smallest amount of dairy and a few other things make thing horrible for my Dd.

starbeam 12-01-2012 09:31 PM

i would try a la leche league meeting and the most recent edition of their book. so amazing. sorry i have no personal advice :( good luck! if you want to nurse, there are ways! try a meeting. the leaders will havedealt with this before and they will have advice!

kirst 12-01-2012 09:44 PM

I feel for you...it can be so hard to continually be rejected and also to be dealing with all those symptoms. It is okay to take a break from it and just pump only and bottle feed...maybe don't even offer the breast. Try just totally taking a break from it and returning in a few weeks. Try to have lots of skin-on-skin cuddle time and just wait and see if maybe the medicine gets the symptoms under control. If so, you can always try again later....or not. I found it helped me the most to just decide NOT to decide right now and to just decide to wait and see. It's such a hard place to be.

If it's any consolation, a few months from now, this will probably all be a hazy memory as your child will start to prefer solids...mine does (at 8 months).

Try to focus on all the good things that are working out for you as mama and child and not so much on the latching.