Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Ahhh! Birthday present overload! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468592)

irishdancemomma 12-01-2012 08:38 PM

Ahhh! Birthday present overload!

Today was my son's first birthday party. In the invites I said that gifts were not necessary as we already have everything we need. With Christmas coming up I was afraid of the amount of stuff we would end up with. There were a total of 12 families at his party and we came home with 14 large gifts, many that I would prefer not to have as they are plastic, flimsy, noisy, and obnoxious. I know everyone was just trying to be nice and I really do appreciate them, but I just don't know what to do with all of this stuff. I suppose we will probably donate a bunch of it. I kinda feel bad, but I JUST purged his toys and I don't need a million more coming in. WWYD?

irishdancemomma 12-01-2012 08:47 PM

I should have added that a few close family members did ask what we would use. I repeated that we didn't need anything but if they had to buy something we could use... And I listed a few small, simple items we would actually use (bath toys, wooden blocks, pjs, a playground ball, etc). We didn't receive ANY of those things and before the party, when I was telling my grandma some of our ideas I was told I was a boring mother because I didn't want my baby to have the over stimulating, flashy toys everyone buys. I'm so frustrated!

clothlover8 12-01-2012 08:48 PM

Re: Ahhh! Birthday present overload!

I am going to be facing this in a week when it's ds birthday, he really wanted a party to celebrate with his friends at the end of his first year of school, dh said it would be weird to put "no presents" on the invites so I know we'll get a bunch of stuff.
I think I will probably let ds have it for a while, I mean he will be given the gifts and want to open them and I would feel mean to take them right off him, also would feel bad knowing that other families have spent money and time. I will let him play with them until they are no longer used, broken etc and then they will go just like the others.
Since your child is younger and doesn't understand maybe you could re-gift them? that would be frugal and not wasteful. Or donate them to a charity for christmas, I am sure many families would appreciate them at this time of year.

Luckily as they get older - dd who is now 12 usually gets giftcards, books, money or itunes cards or her friends put in to buy something bigger so as they get older it tends they tend to get less crap.

irishdancemomma 12-01-2012 08:55 PM

Yeah, if he was older and knew what was going on I wouldn't take them right away. However, he has no idea what is going on and was totally happy with the board book he happened to open first. Lol! He is obsessed with books and dogs (which is what this book happened to be about) and was pretty stuck on looking at that when presents were being opened. Love my kid!

cdeweese 12-01-2012 08:57 PM

This happened to us and we kept a few things he really seemed to like (an activity table and some push toys). We regifted the rest :)

AbbieJack 12-01-2012 09:05 PM

If you know what store they came from return them and use the money for something he needs.

AfWife8405 12-01-2012 09:27 PM

I would probably donate them.

irishdancemomma 12-01-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbieJack
If you know what store they cam from return them and use the money for something he needs.

I was considering this. Most of the people won't be at our house often if at all, so probably wouldn't notice. And even of I only got store credit I could still get something we will actually use. If toys r us carries everything we plan on taking back we might even be able to get the kid sized table and chairs we've been wanting for our play room.

slimy72 12-02-2012 03:36 PM

I second the taking them back idea. If that doesn't work there are lots of angel trees and toys for tots programs in need at this time of year. One of them would be more than great full for the donation.

SenoraE 12-02-2012 07:44 PM

We do not have parties of that scale for the same reason. We just have my parents, the ILs and my sister, and BIL/SIL with baby. We STILL get too many gifts and it's just that small group! We did just pass along a laundry basket full of toys to BIL/SIL that our 2 year old has outgrown.