Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Are All Ring Slings the Same? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468626)

lynn97 12-01-2012 10:57 PM

Are All Ring Slings the Same?

I recently bought a ring sling from CL to try with our newb in a few months (I just found out I'm pregnant). I have no idea what the brand is but it looks nice/feels good/sturdy, etc. Is there a big difference between different brands versus homemade ones?

MotherMoonPads 12-01-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Are All Ring Slings the Same?

There is a HUGE difference in not only the look but the comfort and safety between manufacturers (WAHM or mainstream maker).

lynn97 12-01-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads
There is a HUGE difference in not only the look but the comfort and safety between manufacturers (WAHM or mainstream maker).

So, would you not use a WAHM made one, even if if seemed very sturdy/well-made?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

starbeam 12-01-2012 11:13 PM

i would use a WAHM one if she used slingring brand rings and if the stitching seemed good

MotherMoonPads 12-02-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 15995443)
So, would you not use a WAHM made one, even if if seemed very sturdy/well-made?

No, that isn't what I'm saying at all :goodvibes:

I'm saying that I would look at each sling individually, no matter who made them (WAHM or mass producer). I would check for an appropriate weight fabric, sturdy stitching, and SlingRings being used.

I would choose a WAHM ring sling (like Sleeping Baby Productions) over a mass produced one like a Dr Sears sling.

lynn97 12-03-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads

No, that isn't what I'm saying at all :goodvibes:

I'm saying that I would look at each sling individually, no matter who made them (WAHM or mass producer). I would check for an appropriate weight fabric, sturdy stitching, and SlingRings being used.

I would choose a WAHM ring sling (like Sleeping Baby Productions) over a mass produced one like a Dr Sears sling.

Gotcha! I found it a bit odd if you would (given your WAHM status ;-) ). Safety is certainly my first concern though!

How do I know if my rings are sling rings?The stitching certainly seems tight and the fabric seems appropriate. The rings are a fairly heavy, gold-ish colored metal. They also seem substantial and I don't recall seeing anything like them anywhere else. They are probably 4 or so inches in diameter.

MotherMoonPads 12-04-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 15998601)
Gotcha! I found it a bit odd if you would (given your WAHM status ;-) ). Safety is certainly my first concern though!

How do I know if my rings are sling rings?The stitching certainly seems tight and the fabric seems appropriate. The rings are a fairly heavy, gold-ish colored metal. They also seem substantial and I don't recall seeing anything like them anywhere else. They are probably 4 or so inches in diameter.

Can you post photos? There aren't too many options for rings out there, it's pretty much either Craft Rings (not safe of course) or SlingRings when it comes to a handmade sling. This is the SlingRings website-you might compare the size and what it looks like on there? :goodvibes:

http://www.slingrings.com/

lynn97 12-07-2012 05:11 PM

Attachment 126948

Here's a pic of my rings. They are pretty heavy/feel solid and look like the ones in the link above. I don't have a ruler handy but I would guess them to be about 3.5 inches across?

lynn97 12-09-2012 06:43 PM

Bump. Do these look like sling rings to you mamas?

MotherMoonPads 12-09-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 16018153)
Attachment 126948

Here's a pic of my rings. They are pretty heavy/feel solid and look like the ones in the link above. I don't have a ruler handy but I would guess them to be about 3.5 inches across?

That looks like a lovely sling, I'm guessing the fabric is linen from looking at it too. The stitching looks nice. I say enjoy it! :)