Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Maybe moving to VT... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468784)

eahcapemay 12-02-2012 05:20 PM

Maybe moving to VT...

DH is considering applying for a job in ST Albans. Can anyone who lives around there fill me in on the area? Obviously it would be a huge culture and weather shock for us coming from a big city in Hawaii. I have to admit all my impressions of Vermont are from reading the Vermont Country Store catalogue growing up. What's life actually like in small town Vermont?

Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama 12-02-2012 06:40 PM

Re: Maybe moving to VT...

St. Albans is really far north! Like 10ish minutes from Canada? I live in VT but way southern. Vermont Country Store is in Rockingham which is like 3 hours from you. They get A LOT of snow because of the way northerness of the location. Also, there is a prison there and I believe that a fair amount of the traffic through there is because of there "visiting hours". Also I think that St. Albans is so small that there isn't a Wal-Mart or grocery store there. um..... I'll think about it a little bit.

eahcapemay 12-02-2012 07:09 PM

Hmm. I didn't know about the prison. I don't think that's a deciding factor but it's useful info. Thanks for responding.

eahcapemay 12-03-2012 12:35 PM

New question- during the winter do you still manage to leave the house everyday?

Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama 12-04-2012 02:54 PM

I do leave the house daily. If there is a lot of snow and we are snowed in, it is not for weeks, like you hear about. Maybe a day, and more by the choice of I/others think that it is not safe to be travelling. I don't know about Hawaii but here the weather changes a lot on location. Like 5 minutes down the road it may be totally different.

Junipervt 12-09-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eahcapemay (Post 16000052)
New question- during the winter do you still manage to leave the house everyday?

yup, but I live in Burlington. Burlington is about as city as VT gets. they take really good care of the snow & the sidewalks are still walkable even when there is a foot or more of the white stuff on the ground. they have cute little sidewalk plows. there is always something to do inside for the kids every day (music times, stories, Echo, little gymnastics, etc...).

St Albans isn't too far from Burlington (30ish min). If you're worried about culture shock maybe you could move to Burlington & your DH could commute to St A?

if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me :goodvibes:

mamamax511 12-10-2012 10:29 PM

Love the Montpelier area! We live here and it's great!

aimeelee76 12-14-2012 05:38 PM

I don't live in Vermont, I live in Massachusetts, but I would move there in a heartbeat if we had work there. Vermont is the "healthiest" state in the country http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2272927.html and is so beautiful besides. Lots of family farms and fresh air, plenty of snow, beautiful changes of the seasons, tons of rivers and swimming holes for when it's hot out...but coming from Hawaii, you'll definitely miss the ocean.

seaggarwal 12-27-2012 06:25 PM

We would move as well. Hubby is always looking for jobs there. We have a little place in Ludlow and go at least once a month. I literally feel better as soon as I cross the border.

AHASRADA 01-02-2013 09:47 AM

I will 2nd the suggestion of looking for housing in the Burlington area, specifically South Burlington or Williston. More diversity, more amenities and activities, better schools. Also, it is less than a 2 hour drive to Montreal and 4 hours to Boston, if you crave the urban experience once in a while.

Chittenden County is a wonderful place to raise a family, with a great cultural scene and all the benefits of a university town. St. Albans is quaint, but mainly a mix of old-time locals and a lot of low-income residents, often with substance abuse or mental health issues. There can be some good job opportunities there, but I would say the majority of "outsiders" taking those jobs commute.

If you were looking for the rural experience, I might suggest some beautiful lakeside homes just outside St. Albans, or some of the small and affordable towns between Burlington and St. Albans, but in your situation, staying as close to the "urban center" (such as it is :)) might be more to your liking.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.