Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Was anyone else terrified of announcing to family? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468800)

s@hmommy 12-02-2012 05:46 PM

Was anyone else terrified of announcing to family?

myblessedbaby 12-02-2012 06:02 PM

Re: Was anyone else terrified of announcing to family?

We waited until 12 weeks to tell family and did it via a video posted on FB and our blog. We figured it was easier to let them know without having to speak to them, so that they could form their opinions in private and we didn't have to hear the first thing out of their mouth. Some family has not been so supportive of our choice to try for more.

twinpossible 12-02-2012 06:23 PM

I really really did NOT want to tell my in-laws. I told my husband that they are his side of the family so HE needs to tell them because I am happy and want to remain that way. They reacted how we would expect, not well. I am 24 weeks and they are just now starting to come around. Honestly, I just keep a positive home and if they are not going to be positive then they can stay away for now. I email them updates so I do not have to talk to them on the phone. Best wishes mama, I know how you feel! Congrats on the new baby!!

happymama1 12-02-2012 06:56 PM

:hugs:

We have this problem with DH's family too...everyone has different reasons, but it all amounts to the same thing...it's sad that others can't share in our joy of welcoming new babies (to our wombs)...because they always seem to be excited about the baby (on the outside!)

After several bad experiences...we finally decided to mail a copy of our first ultrasound photo and we wrote something on it like "We are excited to share that baby #4 is due the end of March! Give us a call when you are ready."

It worked...and gave them space to deal with their "feelings" and they got the point that we didn't want to talk with them until they were willing to be supportive.

Now things are fine :)

It seems that wiith each new baby, they start to accept a bit more that they don't have control over OUR life.

evasimone 12-02-2012 07:04 PM

I am always astounded when I read threads like this... I can't imagine a family being nasty about a baby being born.

The only true exceptions I could see is if their was mental illness or addiction in the family (i had family members that kept having children despite an alcoholic father and a schizophrenic mother and that was no environment for children). Or if you were expecting your family to support you financially. Otherwise I just can't really wrap my mind around it..

paper_girl_76 12-02-2012 07:10 PM

not terrified, but also didn't want to hear the bs...so, we didn't tell them. Let them discover it on their own. Been that way since #3.

newcdmommy29 12-02-2012 07:43 PM

Not yet but we announced number 2 a few weeks ago and were asked if the baby was planned by my FIL. :/ next time I Won't be the one announcing to that side of the family. We want a big family and dd and baby boo will be 2 years apart. I didn't think that was bad.

MommaLEB 12-02-2012 07:50 PM

Not terrified, but not excited. I figured people would either be upset or too excited. I also feel kind of stupid for getting pregnant again and thinking I wouldn't get sick. I've really struggled with that and avoided telling people as much as possible because of it.

lynn97 12-03-2012 01:02 AM

I'm excited to tell everyone but DH's mother, honestly. I know everyone will be excited about this baby (it's our second, we're older, own a home, etc). I only dread telling my MIL b/c she was just ridiculous and inappropriate when we told her I was pregnant w/DS. Her crazy, narcissist ways came right out as she proclaimed her excitement for a "real" grandchild in front of the whole family, including her other grandchildren, who were adopted at very young ages. Basically, the crazy continued to spiral from there and continued on until recently (DS is 17 months old). I just don't want the drama nor do I want to hear about what she needs this child to be for her. Ugh.

Brandy1010 12-03-2012 05:44 AM

Wow! This makes me so sad :( I dont understand why anyone would be upset about a new baby ine the way. Unless they paid your bills. Or one of the parents to be was some sort of addict. But, even then, I would say, thia is the straw..get a job. Or go to rehab and do everything in my power to make sure that baby is ok. But, be so mad that I wouldnt speak, never...

I hope it goea good and you have a great support system from them! :)