Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Moving into a REALLY small house...Good Idea or Bad?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468849)

branichar 12-02-2012 08:01 PM

Moving into a REALLY small house...Good Idea or Bad??

I could really use some advice and I know this may not be the best place, but I figured you guys could at least give me another perspective. My husband is currently in the military and we should, hopefully be retiring early next year. We are going to be moving back home by family and we plan on using the GI Bill to both go to school. Anyway, what I need advice about is a house. We are seriously considering buying a piece of property that has land and a really small house. We are a family of 5; me, DH, 5yo dd, 3yo ds, and the baby will be 1 by that time. The house that sits on the land is 588 sq ft, 1 bed, 1bath. We would only be living there while we built a house, so it would not be a forever arrangement. Am I crazy for thinking we might be able to make it work? The living and kitchen area is open and is 14x25 and then there is a bedroom and a bathroom. We have a futon, so I figured we could have the kids sleep on that and just fold/unfold it daily. The baby will more than likely still be in the bed with us. Almost all of our stuff but the bare essentials will be in storage. There is 5 acres with the house, so a lot of space for the kids to play outside. My Mom and Dad and the in-laws will all be within about 10 minutes, so I figure if I start to go too stir crazy we can go hang out at their houses during the day. If we did this, it would mean that my husband and I could both go to school without having to work as well, and we would be able to build our dream home. Thoughts??

ETA: I just did some measuring and the living/kitchen area of that house would be the same size as the living/kitchen area of the house we are in now. We spend 99% of our time here anyway. We have an upstairs that has 3 bedrooms in it, but we literally only sleep up there. So as long as we don't have all of our stuff...

evasimone 12-02-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Moving into a REALLY small house...Good Idea or Bad??

I think it's definitely doable. Long term it would drive me nuts but it sounds like it's a great opportunity for you guys.

Their is a mom who frequents this forum and they live in a house nearly the same size. Hopefully she'll check in! :)

peaches330 12-02-2012 08:19 PM

Personally, I would do it. If it's only temporary and you think you could make it work then I don't think it's a huge deal. However, I think you should also look into making sure that you would be able to build your dream home with the other house still on the property. Some friends of ours wanted to do something similar out here and since the property was only approved for xyz, they couldn't legally build a house with the other dwelling still on the property. On my property in the same county it would be different, but I think that might be because it's already approved for a second dwelling? Not sure exactly how it works, but I'd look into that first :)

cdeweese 12-02-2012 08:24 PM

Eek! Our first appt was 580 sq ft and we barely had enough room for DH military uniforms/gear plus regular household items. I remember having to go to the grocery all the time because we had no space to store food. How long would you be living there?

lookatreestar 12-02-2012 08:31 PM

I could do it if temporary. We lived in 680sq ft with me, dh, dd 5, and ds 3.

Melinda29 12-02-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peaches330 (Post 15998015)
Personally, I would do it. If it's only temporary and you think you could make it work then I don't think it's a huge deal. However, I think you should also look into making sure that you would be able to build your dream home with the other house still on the property. Some friends of ours wanted to do something similar out here and since the property was only approved for xyz, they couldn't legally build a house with the other dwelling still on the property. On my property in the same county it would be different, but I think that might be because it's already approved for a second dwelling? Not sure exactly how it works, but I'd look into that first :)

Yup, definitely check first. We did this exact same thing but it was legal in our county. However just one county over, it is not.

While we were living in our ubercramped house, we went overboard and built a house with 3500 finished square feet (1900 main level, 1600 finished basement). Even for a family of six, it is waaaaaaaay more space than we need. I wish we had made much smaller bedrooms (10x12' MAX for the kids) and a bigger living/kitchen/dining room (ours is 17x30' but there is a lot of traffic ways eating up space). I think 1500 sq ft main level and 1000 basement would have been just perfect.

raymark 12-02-2012 10:33 PM

There is no way I would consider it.

Fashionably Green Baby 12-03-2012 06:48 AM

I would do it in a heartbeat since it is temporary!

Liaklong 12-03-2012 07:20 AM

I would do it in a heartbeat too! My dh, dd, ds & I are in a tiny apartment in our in laws house. We moved back temporarily so that we could save up to buy. We've been looking for 3-5 acres & a similar situation ourselves. My dh was laid off for two years & went back to school. Now that he's got a good job, I'm planning on going back to school in 2013. It's a temporary situation that will benefit our family as a whole tremendously in the future. So I think the temporary sacrifice on space is worth it if it enables you to live out your dreams in the future (and as long as you can do it w/out going crazy) :) Good luck to you & your family, whatever you decide!

BNC 12-03-2012 10:16 AM

I say go for it! But personally, i would try to sleep everyone in the same room, otherwise onde your kids go to sleep (big on th futon in the living room and little in your bed in the bedroom) what will you do until you go to sleep? I would want 1 room where i could still live after the kids bedtime.