Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bike, Trike, Skuut for 21 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468878)

Marbie 12-02-2012 10:20 PM

Bike, Trike, Skuut for 21 month old?

Long story short: We are getting my 4 year old DS a bike for Christmas (probably). If we do that, we need to get something that my 20 month-old DD can putter around on as well, so that she doesn't feel left out. She'll be about 21 months at Christmas.

So I'm wondering, what bikes, scoot-thingies, big-wheels, trikes, etc. have you had for your nearly-2 and 2 year-olds that you have liked? What have they really been able to use? I'm worried that a Skuut-type thing will be too hard, but they really are cute and look like good bike-prep.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Greenwife 12-02-2012 11:48 PM

Re: Bike, Trike, Skuut for 21 month old?

We have a strider and DD has been using it since 18 months. I researched for the shortest seat height before buying it. We also have a hand-me-down Skuut and on the lowest seat setting, DD still can't use it (she's now almost 26 months). We often have the Strider in the house and DD goes down the hall with it. Outside she walks with it and has recently started cruising by lifting up her feet or running more with it.

It took a bit for her to get the hang of it to move along faster, but we only do it in good weather on weekends. Our friends with kids who practice more often have picked it up quicker.

safghf 12-03-2012 12:54 AM

Get a balance bike! They are awesome and will get her riding a real two wheeler in no time. We got one for DD when she turned two. Because it was too tall for her at the time, we took off the big rubber wheels and replaced with skateboard type wheels. Once she got tall enough (and brave enough) we put the front rubber wheel on first and about a week later, the back one. She would fly on that thing! This summer at almost 3 1/2yo, we put her on a two wheel pedal bike. It took four hours from first time on to riding by herself and that included a nap in the middle! Now my 17mo is riding the balance bike and chasing his big sister around. I think he will be ready for a real bike in the spring! Best money we could have spent on a ride on for our kids!

ETA: Ours is the Smart Gear

Dmpmercury 12-03-2012 02:27 AM

I love balance bikes but my kids must have short legs because even with the 10" one I have none of my kids could fit on it at 21 months. I couldn't use it until they were more like 2.5. It was a good investment though because once they can fit they can ride with their older siblings and keep up pretty good even on trails. I had a tricycle but none of my kids really used it. They couldn't reach the pedals for quite a while and once they did it was hard to pedal it. I used it briefly with the handle for my youngest because she wanted to ride a bike too but then the handle snapped when my husband took them for a bike ride. I wish we could use bikes here now.

Junipervt 12-03-2012 06:59 AM

we got a strider for DD's 2nd birthday. she's petite, so I did my research & she should have fit on it. she didn't it was too big. it didn't work for her until she was almost 3 & at 4.5 she's still using it & loves it. we've not tried it yet for 2yr old DS b/c the seat is set for her. he has a little radio flyer 4 wheel bike that he loves.

we live at a co-op w/ lots of kids & the most popular ride on for the little ones is this one..... (ours is older & a different color/yardsale find)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4054629

before they can peddle they can get going pretty fast pushing w/ their feet & it was the 1st thing DD was able to peddle. 2 of our neighbor boys learned to peddle on it too. I'm usually not a big fan of plastics, but this really is a great trike that can be used for a long time (my 4yr old & neighbor 6yr old also like to ride it b/c they can get going fast).

MDever 12-03-2012 07:06 AM

We had to wait on the balance bike this year because Poppy is a bit petite and the one we want is heavier than a Strider and we are afraid it would be too heavy:( She does have a Pewie by YBike though and LOVES it. She has had it for about a year now and still rides it everyday.

Done at 3 12-03-2012 07:22 AM

My son got the ybike (the thick plastic one) when he was about your LO's age and he is tiny. He loved it!

safghf 12-03-2012 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 126514

Hopefully this works. This is about a month & a half ago. DS was 15 months. It's the Smart Gear bike with rollerblade wheels :)

beermathmama 12-04-2012 06:48 PM

We got ds a skuut for his second birthday and he was a little too short for it. He didn't really get it down for another 6 months, but now he loves it. It is a great started bike!

Connor 12-04-2012 09:52 PM

Strider! All the way!