Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Santa dilema (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468925)

Shiara514 12-03-2012 07:31 AM

Santa dilema

Do you tell your kids about Santa? If not, what do you do with them? I thought DH and I had decided not to do Santa, but he seems to be having second thoughts. I think he feels like she'll be missing out on something, but I don't see how the surprise gifts on Christmas morning are any less fun if from us...

MeCo7707 12-03-2012 07:39 AM

Re: Santa dilema

Hmm, well I'm going to fill up the "stockings" so it will be a surprise...but they know it is from me...still exciting though. They know all the stories about Santa, and they know we have no problem with fantasy...but would rather they be thankful to the actual giver of a present then an fictional giver of presents

Tina5834 12-03-2012 07:47 AM

We do Santa here but I wish we didn't. It's such a hassle to hide things and 'try' not to slip up and spill the beans. I really don't think your daughter will 'miss' out. The only 'problem' I can think of is if she starts tellin other kids that Santa isn't real. KWIM?

escapethevillage 12-03-2012 07:56 AM

I love Santa! I had fun keeping the magic alive when she was young.

UnderTheStars 12-03-2012 08:26 AM

I didn't want to do Santa at first... I didn't like that he got all the credit, and the story about a guy breaking in to your house while you're sleeping? Weird. :giggle: But last year I got caught up in the spirit and DD was SO excited about the idea that I gave in. This year, its all about Santa and seeing the excitement and wonder in their eyes makes me happy. :)

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-03-2012 09:26 AM

we dont celebrate xmas. we did the first couple years after ds1 was born and it was decided that we would not do santa. we would just give gifts and DS1 would know it came from us. the kids do know what other families do and not to tell other kids that santa isnt real.

Done at 3 12-03-2012 09:42 AM

I love Christmas and Santa but I tell DS1 -6 that not everyone believes in Santa and its up to him to decide if he does or not. He decided that he does. It's all in good fun and eventually he will know it was all from us, but I am glad my parents did that for me and hope some day he will feel the same appreciation for the selflessness. We do also really stress it's not about the gifts and try to get them focused on what they can do for others and we talk about how some kids aren't as lucky and it's important to think of them and try to brighten others christmas' too.

bluedaisyma 12-03-2012 10:24 AM

we don't do santa and my kids have never felt like they missed out on anything. Santa doesn't bring presents, but they know what he is- a character, just like how my 2 yr old is enamored with nutcrackers, lol. Anyway, the kids still get presents and stockings and we do all kinds of Christmas activities, just not "some old man has you sit on his lap and then he watches you at night and brings you gifts if you're good" ;) and we don't shelf-elf either.

momtojande 12-03-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiara514 (Post 15999031)
Do you tell your kids about Santa? If not, what do you do with them? I thought DH and I had decided not to do Santa, but he seems to be having second thoughts. I think he feels like she'll be missing out on something, but I don't see how the surprise gifts on Christmas morning are any less fun if from us...

My parents never did Santa, and I didn't feel left out of anything. Christmas was always awesome.

Is anyone ever let down because their birthday presents come from their parents instead of some weird old guy who sneaks into the house?

Childhood has plenty of magic and pretend. Skipping Santa doesn't cancel all that.

momof_3 12-03-2012 10:45 AM

We told our girls that santa was just fantasy and they could enjoy the stories if they wanted to. But he isn't real, just another character like on her cartoons or in her books. We still do all the other Christmas activites. This year now that my 6yr old dd is in school she chooses to enjoy the story and fantasy.