Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Grandma's Reaction to "Modern" CDs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469017)

buko 12-03-2012 11:48 AM

Grandma's Reaction to "Modern" CDs

I had told my grandmothers I was planning on CDing and they both had mildly positive reactions to it, even though I think they found them something of a PITA for their kids. (Of course, they did the flats/wet pail/dunk/swish/plastic pants routine, and my mom's mom-- Grandma-- didn't even have a working washing machine when most of her kids were little.)

Well, over the Thanksgiving weekend, I took some of my already-purchased stash to their respective houses to show them-- and any other interested relatives-- how far cloth had come. I brought:

-A PF
-Snappi
-A couple of super-cute PUL covers (one aplix, one OS with snaps)
-A Sandy's fitted and a cute Mutt
-A wool cover
-A NB and a OS AIO
-A couple of cool pockets (FB, etc.)

So I showed my Bubbe (dad's mom) and she thought it was pretty cool, but NBD. Dad's family was generally cool about it, just very nonchalant.

Then I took everything over to Grandma's house (mom's mom). I started my little demo-- :giggle2:-- by talking about the flats she used, and then whipped out a prefold. I figured we'd start with the "lowest-tech" stuff and move on to the more and more impressive dipes, as I had at Bubbe's house.

"OH MY GOODNESS! LOOK AT THAT! A PREFOLDED DIAPER!!!! Look at this, everyone! It's PREFOLDED!!!!"

:rofl2:

I had her at prefolds!

I could have stopped right there and been done with it.

So then I demonstrated the Snappi and she almost passed out! All the other options were just icing on the cake.

Imagine! PREFOLDED diapers!!!!

:giggle:

And then-- the bonus!

She said that since she knew I planned to CD, she had gathered some of her "old" CDs for me to use. She had kept them all these years-- no one in our family had been CD'ed since my middle cousin, born in 1982. Between Grandma, my mom and my aunt, they determined she had probably bought them for me (oldest grandchild) and my next cousin in the late 70s, to use when we visited.

Well, Grandma told me had she thought she was really something special, because she could finally afford Curity for us! Curity were the "good" diapers. I found the diapers, and sure enough, they were gauze flats (20 of them!), all pinked edge, and probably just prepped and never used (or maybe used a couple times).

A little lightbulb went off for me, and I said, "Grandma, I think these are really hot-- people love them and they don't make them anymore." Well-- you know the rest of this story-- they're going on eBay for up to $15 apiece! Even at $5 apiece, they're easily worth $100.

I thought about it and decided to keep them-- if I don't use them much-- or even if I do-- I can always resell them. I was going to register for 1-2 dozen flats for multi-purpose use, anyway, so now I don't have to.

Anyway, just thought that was cool! And made up for the fact that my aunts were all making fun of me-- boo! I think it was more for my QVC-level enthusiasm about my dipes than for CDing, per se-- and luckily, they can take it as well as they dish it out, so I was quick with my rejoinders-- but still.

Oh, well! At least Grandma is on my side!

papoosecaboose 12-03-2012 11:59 AM

Thanks for sharing! That's so cute, I can just imagine her delight at the prefolds. How funny. I've seen those Curity ones on eBay when searching for cloth. I couldn't believe how much they go for. I wonder what the big draw is. I have one and it doesn't seem all that amazing.

Kabuki24 12-03-2012 12:06 PM

Re: Grandma's Reaction to "Modern" CDs

This is so, so, so cool! Thanks for sharing!

qsefthuko 12-03-2012 12:06 PM

When I told my grandmother (My mother's mother) we were buying cloth her comment was I had to make all my own diapers. She thought just being able to buy flats instead of making your own was pretty convenient. It was like how much more convenient can it get?

c&w's mama 12-03-2012 12:10 PM

cute :) and what a sweet find! I'd use them :) I love using stuff that someone bought for me. My mom kept a ton.

buko 12-03-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16000201)
When I told my grandmother (My mother's mother) we were buying cloth her comment was I had to make all my own diapers. She thought just being able to buy flats instead of making your own was pretty convenient. It was like how much more convenient can it get?

Haha! Now that is REALLY old school!

I could have guessed this would be Grandma's reaction-- she loves new technology. Like, her favorite chore is laundry, not because it's "fun" for her, per se, but because she used to have to use an actual mangle/manual wringer (she's not THAT old, but they were poor), so the fact that she can just dump clothes in the washer, transfer to the dryer and fold is like the sweetest thing ever.

jennayoung99 12-03-2012 12:44 PM

I love this!! My mom and some of my aunts and older cousins clothed diapered in the 70s and 80s, I got lots of awesome comments when I first changed DD in front of them. Made me feel good too see people as excited as me. :D

ARogers 12-03-2012 01:00 PM

That's awesome.

alaskamum 12-03-2012 01:15 PM

:)

thealmightyme 12-03-2012 02:09 PM

Totally cute.