Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Let's talk toddler shoes... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469048)

mamaspice 12-03-2012 01:02 PM

So, I've been a little obsessive about toddler shoes for the last few weeks for my 15 month old. She is a pretty confident walker and strting to run and climb. I'm a big fan of the "Barefoot is Best" philosophy and my dd started out with soft sole Robeez and they've worked great for indoors and outdoors in summer.

Now I would like her to have a shoe that can go outdoors in wet conditions but still be very soft and flexible. I want zero heel drop and as much ground feel as possible. Not too much padding or "support."

I have pediped originals and Stonz booties on the way from Zappos to try (free returns if they don't work!) The Robeez mini shoez we tried hurt the top of her little pillow feet and were not as flexible as I'd hoped. What else should we try? See Kai Run? Stride Rite SRT? Merrell Kids? Are some of the "flexible" brands more flexible than others?

These specialty brands seem pretty expensive for being outgrown so quickly, especially in the outdoor sole versions, but I guess I will do less pairs per size (like, one outdoor and one indoor).

I also had her try a pair of Speedo water shoes- these were super flexible but so grippy that they made her trip. So I am worried about enough grip to not slip, but not too much to stick and make her trip or alter her stride. You know, just as grippy as bare feet are.

So, give me your reviews and experiences please, fellow shoe-nerd mamas!

UPDATE: The Pediped Originals are here! They seem to have a rubberish, nonskid outsole instead of the leather bottom I was expecting. Softer and more flexible than the Robeez mini shoez and higher in the toebox. Will try them on her later but I think they will be winners for dress shoes!

Gerdgrid 12-03-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Let's talk toddler shoes...

Rileyroos were my favorite for the transition from soft shoe to real shoes.

luvmybabes85 12-03-2012 01:14 PM

pedoodles, see kai run, and a few others come to mind. There are many options out there and I even let my guy wear his robeez to the park and they work fine;-)

mamaspice 12-03-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaci
Rileyroos were my favorite for the transition from soft shoe to real shoes.

Now those are just adorable!

Gerdgrid 12-03-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaspice (Post 16000505)
Now those are just adorable!

They're made very well, definitely sturdy enough for outside play. And the way they do the soles makes them super flexible.

While I liked our SKR, Pedoodles, Pedipeds, Squeaky Shoes etc... My kids wrecked them long before they outgrew them. RRs were the most durable *for us*

mamaspice 12-03-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaci

They're made very well, definitely sturdy enough for outside play. And the way they do the soles makes them super flexible.

While I liked our SKR, Pedoodles, Pedipeds, Squeaky Shoes etc... My kids wrecked them long before they outgrew them. RRs were the most durable *for us*

They are pretty affordable compared to the other brands too... How do they do in wet conditions?

Gerdgrid 12-03-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaspice (Post 16000563)
They are pretty affordable compared to the other brands too... How do they do in wet conditions?

Pretty good. We live in the PNW, so we know rain, and they did as well as I would expect of a little leather shoe. Obviously they're not water proof or anything, but they didn't look any worse for wear from walking through puddles. We never had any suede styles, though, so I can't speak for those.

mamaspice 12-03-2012 01:45 PM

I thought you might be in the PNW since you are a Stumptown fan! We are too so we play in the rain! I think I might give these a try in the Spring/Summer, or if the Stonz booties don't work out for winter.

Sarahknavy 12-03-2012 05:13 PM

We live in PNW and we use Stride Rite stage 2: Early walkers. They fit really well. My son couldn't walk in "normal" shoes but had no adjustment going from Robeez to these, you can find good deals at 6pm.com.

mamaspice 12-04-2012 01:45 PM

Update: I think the Pediped Originals will work for now- she didn't like them at first but once I put socks on she didn't mind and is running around just fine. She is on the largest size available though so I will have to figure something else out soon!

I will need sturdier outdoor ones for Spring (leaning toward the Rileyroos!) so please continue adding your reviews and I will review as I try things too!