Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   s/o: Would you pump for older children? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469069)

elizabeth.scalf 12-03-2012 02:47 PM

s/o: Would you pump for older children?

Another thread got me thinking about pumping for older children. I'm still BFing my 3mo, but I also have a 2yo and 4yo that BFed until 16 and 18 mos respectively. They both quit when I got pregnant with the next. But now that I'm BFing again for the newborn, I've thought about starting pumping to give my older kids milk in a cup. I'd love to relatch the 2yo but doubt it would happen. But my 4yo loves it when I squirt milk on her hands; she uses it to wash her face lol. I'm sure I could get them to drink it.

Anyone else do this?

mpink22 12-03-2012 03:24 PM

I slip my 5 year old bm in his cereal, mix it with eggs or mix it with the cows milk he is drinking.

tibeca 12-04-2012 11:18 AM

Re: s/o: Would you pump for older children?

I hate pumping, so don't do it regularly. When I have pumped to go out, and there's milk left in a bottle, I do offer it to my older 2. Usually they ask if they can put chocolate in it, but have never flat out refused.

jessnic 12-04-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
I hate pumping, so don't do it regularly. When I have pumped to go out, and there's milk left in a bottle, I do offer it to my older 2. Usually they ask if they can put chocolate in it, but have never flat out refused.

I wonder if my toddler would drink the frozen milk if I added chocolate lol??

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-04-2012 04:00 PM

all the milk i pump needs to go to the baby, if i didnt have to pump i wouldnt.

AnimalHouse 12-04-2012 04:32 PM

I'm nursing my 16m old and 3w old... I also have a 3y old and 5y old. I don't pump for them. There have been times when I've cooked with it, and I know there are nutritional benefits even at their ages... I just don't want to pump anymore, so I don't :mrgreen:. I know some people who have done that, though.

momof3boys1girl 12-04-2012 07:35 PM

I have offered pumped milk to my older ones. I hate pumping so it hasnt happened very often

Kätzchen 12-04-2012 07:49 PM

I pump for my six year old and my husband. They both drink about 15oz a day.

We don't drink other milks, it's really not bothersome for me at all.

Wapondi 12-04-2012 09:12 PM

I don't get much when I pump so I wouldn't. But more power to those who can.

You Tell 'Em 12-05-2012 12:31 AM

I did after having my second. I quit BFing early on with my first (before 10 months) and she was 3 yr 3 mos when DD#2 was born. She liked the taste and it helped "get rid" of the extra I had since baby wouldn't/didn't need to take bottles but I had to pump for comfort. This time around after baby #3 comes I'm sure DD#2 will want to nurse again (she'll be 2 yr 3 mos) when baby #3 comes and just recently weaned (pretty much) since I have zero milk left, she comfort nurses for a few seconds if needed every week or so :cry: I'm sure if my supply was still there she would still be nursing.