Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bad weight gain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469073)

kaia.aline 12-03-2012 02:54 PM

Bad weight gain

At DDs drs appt today we found out she has only 1lb 1oz in 7ish weeks :( (but grew over 3inches) the dr wants us to start solids ASAP and come back in one month to check on her weight. If it's not better then they want me to supplement with formula or if her weight gain is like nothing I'm going to have to quit breastfeeding completely :cry:

She nurses every 2-3hrs even at night so it's going to be hard to fit extra nursing sessions in but I'm going to try. She has severe silent reflux and is on several meds for it so the dr said she won't gain as much or as fast but that she should be gaining more than she is :( fwiw dd just turned 4 months old yesterday.

tibeca 12-03-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Bad weight gain

Have you considered an elimination diet to identify her reflux triggers? Food allergies can present with ftt. Also find an IBCLC to check her milk transfer rate.

4 mos is too young to start solids and WON'T increase weight gain.

http://kellymom.com/health/growth/weight-gain_increase/

qsefthuko 12-03-2012 03:30 PM

Also can you perhaps try nursing every 2 hours verses every 3 hours. Don't wait for baby to ask to feed. Offer to feed. When baby cries for whatever reason instead of trying to console baby in other ways offer to nurse.

crunchymom2b 12-03-2012 06:12 PM

I would stay far away from solids at their age. Even when babies start solids at the recommended age (6-8months say) it's not primarily for nutrition and weight gain. If you're really worried I would def. see an IBCLC as suggested. If you end up needing tosupplement I would do sowith an SNS (either with Pumped Milk, Donor Milk, or Formula) or a curved feeding syringe unless she takes bottles without issue.

I hope this was a fluke and things work themselves out mama!

kaia.aline 12-03-2012 07:09 PM

She takes bottles like a champ (she's not had very many but when she has it's been easy peasy)

I don't want to start solids but I kinda feel like I HAVE TO, at least that was the feeling I had when we left the drs today :(

dudleypippen 12-03-2012 07:32 PM

Maybe ask for a referral to pediatric gastro if the reflux is that bad and meds don't seem to be helping. I agree with pp, early introduction to solids won't necessarily help with weight gain since there really aren't many calories in baby food. I think often pedis don't know what to do with breastfed babies and don't trust mamas bodies to make milk for their babies. Hugs mama! Hope thing get easier soon!

crunchymom2b 12-03-2012 07:50 PM

I understand feeling the pressure from the pedi but please get a 2nd opinion before starting solids. I'd hate to see her get more issues from starting too early.

I'd start with the LC or IBCLC and make sure her latch is correct. The seemingly best latch could be wrong and that could cause her not to transfer milk well. Does she act super hungry a lot? I'd also look deeper into the reflux.

songbird516 12-03-2012 09:22 PM

Agree with what everyone else said. FWIW, my son has only gained 1 pound in 3 months, from 6 to 9 months. Formula and solids are not magical foods that will make you baby gain weight as long as milk supply isn't an issue.

c&w's mama 12-03-2012 11:24 PM

please do get a second opinion! then you'll feel better, too. how do you think your baby is doing-- if you hadn't gone to the drs?

solid food is about learning (in a few months) and not really the calories at the start, IMO-- I am not a medical dr.

BellaPepper 12-04-2012 12:33 AM

Go see a lactation consultant before you make any decisions.