Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Distractions, static weight and bruising, oh my! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469095)

hhilgen2 12-03-2012 02:36 PM

Distractions, static weight and bruising, oh my!

Ladies, I'm hoping you all can give me a little more help than my ped. This is going to be long, so here goes:

My DD is just turning 8 months old and is EBF with 3 small (1-2 tbsp) meals of fruits or veggies per day. I'm completely neurotic :blush: and weigh her every night. For the past 2 weeks she has only gained a few ounces. There were actually a few days where she lost a few oz, but has gained that back. She is acting completely normal and has been *trying* to crawl. She's an insanely active baby and log-rolls all over our house. The ped's nurse suggested that it is "because she is teething" :headscratch: or "because it's cold outside and she's burning energy to keep warm" :headscratch::headscratch:.....While she did cut her first 2 teeth about a month ago, she is showing no signs of discomfort. And we put clothes on her and have our house at 72 degrees, soooo.....help? Anyone?

As far as the nursing goes, she seems to only be interested during letdown. If she has to work at all, she gets distracted really easily. Help?

I've also noticed that she has a few small bruises that crop up here and there, which I'm unable to find a cause for. Should I be giving her an infant vitamin with iron since she's EBF???

Of course, the ped recommended that we do a trial with formula and see if I'm happier with her weight gain. Super. Helpful. Thanks.

If you made it this far, congratulations and help a mutha' out????

tibeca 12-03-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Distractions, static weight and bruising, oh my!

After 6 months, most breastfed babies slow their gaining WAY down. Weighing her everyday is only going to drive you crazy. If she is happy, healthy and growing (hitting milestones, active, etc) then cut yourself some slack. :)

isabelsmummy 12-04-2012 01:27 AM

You really need to stop weighing her! I understand the neurosis, but it's time to wean yourself off that scale! Around that age it's not abnormal to lose a bit of weight, or stop, or slow down as they become more active. If you look at an infant growth chart you can see that weight gain typically slows dramatically as they start getting to an age where they can move themselves.

hhilgen2 12-04-2012 07:42 AM

Thanks ladies, I'll try to hop off the crazy train ;) Any input on the change in nursing behaviour? Is this just normal as they become more interested in their surroundings?

tibeca 12-04-2012 08:26 AM

Distracted nursing is the #1 complaint of moms of babies 3 months and older! She will get the milk she needs as long as you follow her cues.

songbird516 12-04-2012 09:28 AM

Yes, please stop weighing her! My son was HUGE at his first few appointments, but has only gained 1 pound in the past 3 months! I suspected it, but since he's happy and really active, I haven't worried about it. The doctor didn't either. She said that he was obviously ahead on a lot of things, so just keep doing what I'm doing. He's 8.5 months and EBF other than a few spoons of solids every day. I'm going to add in more egg yolk because his iron was a little low, but weight gain is just ONE sign of a healthy baby.

My first gained consistently for the first 2 years, so this seems strange to me, but just watch your child, not the scale. Don't Panic!!

AbbisMomma2be 12-08-2012 01:45 PM

I'm new here, but just thought I'd contribute. My dtr was in the same position. She gained a ton in the early stages, but basically gained only a few ounces between her 6 and 9 mo appointment. Don't worry.. as long as she's acting normal.. no worries... My dtr is now 10.5 mo and still only nurses for short periods of time.. They get what they need!

keen1981 12-08-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
After 6 months, most breastfed babies slow their gaining WAY down. Weighing her everyday is only going to drive you crazy. If she is happy, healthy and growing (hitting milestones, active, etc) then cut yourself some slack. :)

This momma! Try to relax. Bruises happen for a lot of reasons. Especially a crawling little one! Just wait till she is running straight into things! They just pop up and it's okay :)

Computermama 12-08-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16020413)
This momma! Try to relax. Bruises happen for a lot of reasons. Especially a crawling little one! Just wait till she is running straight into things! They just pop up and it's okay :)

They really do! One of the first phrases my oldest learned was "I okay!" The living room was out of line of sight of the kitchen, so I'd frequently hear crashes from the living room, followed by a little voice piping "I okay!"

But yeah, DD1 was well on her way to 30lbs (26lbs) at her 9 month appointment, but didn't actually hit 30lbs until over a year later at two. They really really slow down. If she's acting normal, outputting normally, step away from the scale. You're only going to make yourself crazy. Use it as a diagnostic tool if she seems off, not as an every day thing. Healthy adults fluctuate around 2lbs on any given day, so it stands to reason that babies are going to gain and lose a bit here and there and it's not going to hurt them.

keen1981 12-08-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama

They really do! One of the first phrases my oldest learned was "I okay!" The living room was out of line of sight of the kitchen, so I'd frequently hear crashes from the living room, followed by a little voice piping "I okay!"

But yeah, DD1 was well on her way to 30lbs (26lbs) at her 9 month appointment, but didn't actually hit 30lbs until over a year later at two. They really really slow down. If she's acting normal, outputting normally, step away from the scale. You're only going to make yourself crazy. Use it as a diagnostic tool if she seems off, not as an every day thing. Healthy adults fluctuate around 2lbs on any given day, so it stands to reason that babies are going to gain and lose a bit here and there and it's not going to hurt them.

Omg that's so cute! I okay! Lol