Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Laundry questions - Tide, Mrs. Meyers dryer sheets, stripping wool? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469112)

Mama2SLR 12-03-2012 03:17 PM

Laundry questions - Tide, Mrs. Meyers dryer sheets, stripping wool?

I've cloth diapered two kiddos and am 35 weeks pregnant with #3, preparing to CD again. For the newborn stage I mostly use AIO's and after that, prefolds with PUL or wool, or pockets. I also have a friend passing along some of her stash, not sure what's in it. We have an HE front-loader and apparently hard water. I tried several detergents (Allen's, Charlie's, Country Save) and ultimately have stuck with Charlie's for all our laundry. I did have stink issues when were diapering and my husband's clothes (he works out a lot) were also not smelling clean. After years of him begging me, I finally got Tide and use it on his clothes (still using Charlie's on mine and the kids'). I hate than even with an extra rinse, his clothes still smell like Tide. Our good friends own a diaper store and are RDA leaders, and they use/recommend Tide for diapers because they too have hard water. So, I'm planning to try it when we start diapering the newbie as I know it's a common choice for CD's (even though it seems to go against some rules!), but I'm wondering if others who use it rinse more than they otherwise would with a more natural detergent? I normally do a rinse/drain/spin with no detergent, then a heavy duty hot wash with detergent and an extra rinse. Will that be enough or will there still be Tide residue?

Next question, we also have a huge static problem with DH's clothes, especially because he has a lot of synthetic fabrics. I've tried many natural remedies and finally after years of begging on this issue too, I bought some Mrs. Meyers dryer sheets that I've been using on his laundry only. It hasn't eliminated the problem but has helped a little. Will the dryer sheets leave residue in our dryer and affect diapers? What about if we have wool dryer balls in there, will they collect residue and expose the diapers?

Last question, while I have used wool in the past and wool nursing pads, I decided I was a wool failure. Even immediately post-wash, the soakers would have a hard/cakey area in the crotch from urine and my nursing pads from dried milk, and the soakers would smell after a pee. I think my problem may have been overlanolizing, as I was lanolizing every time I washed. I have Eucalan now so I'd like to try again, but I would need to somehow strip/clean my soakers and nursing pads before starting again. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

nonipie 12-03-2012 03:36 PM

Re: Laundry questions - Tide, Mrs. Meyers dryer sheets, stripping wool?

I've used Tide for years with no issues. The "rules" as far as detergent have been debunked many times so I would not worry about it. Use what works for you. I do cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse. I have not found that I need to do multiple extra rinses. I don't care for the scent either so I use Tide Free.

As for the wool, it sounds like felting. If they smelled of urine it would be from not using enuogh lanolin not too much. I lanolize every wash with a wool wash and either solid lanolin or a spray. Also maybe they need to be deep cleaned with Dawn or Tide then re-lanolized. When you relanolize you will need to use more than just the Eucalan if you want them to be bulletproof.

Mama2SLR 12-03-2012 03:49 PM

Thanks for the reply! I thought the wool would already be felted? How would I go about deep cleaning it with Tide or Dawn? Then, if I do, would it be enough to lanolizing once and then just use Eucalan after that?

nonipie 12-03-2012 05:03 PM

It would depend on the type of wool. Something like my Disana I do like a bit of felting but hand knit or interlock I really don't want it felted. What kind if covers do you have? I wash all of my wool in the washer. If it gets, poop, food, dirt etc. on it then I just wash them with a few squirts of Dawn. For handwashing I basically do the same thing with warm water and lots of rinsing. Eucalan does not really have that much lanolin so for me I lanolize every time. That is how it works best IMO and stays clean longer. So without it you will get more leaks and it will smell like urine meaning it's dirty and will need to be washed sooner.

Mama2SLR 12-05-2012 02:15 PM

So if I was lanolizing every time I washed, what was I doing wrong? Could it be the I wasn't washing frequently enough? Do people treat the crotch of a soaker any certain way? Could it be that the diapers under the soakers weren't absorbent enough? And for the nursing pads, it said to gently break up any dried milk before washing, but that was much easier said than done.