Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Just a vent about MIL and Cd's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469116)

disneylindsay 12-03-2012 03:33 PM

Just a vent about MIL and Cd's

So I Had Mil babysit for me so I could go and get my hair done. We have been cloth diapering for forever, so you would think that she would be used to it by now!
Well the night before she calls to say that "I really don't do well with those cloth things you have for the babies..do you have any disposables that I can use instead?"

"Umm no sorry we do not, but don't worry I will leave out the easiest diapers I have. You don't have to do anything for them just put them on and leave the other in the wet bag I give you and I will take care of it..."

Mil- "what about wipes, do I have to use the cloth ones too? Couldn't you just go out and buy some disposables and wipes for me to use tomorrow?"

Me- silence (years I tell you, and she still doesn't get it!! )

MIL_ " those things are just so hard to use..I hate them!"

Me- "I'm sorry you feel that way, I just don't have any nor do I have the money to go an buy that for one day, I already am splurging and getting my hair done. They are really easy to use..all you have to do is put it on just like you would a disposable and take it off when soiled just like a disposable and leave it for me to do the rest!"

MIL - " (Big Sigh)- well I guess so, but you should probably take the baby with you, because I am not sure I can do it, plus if he needs a nap, I won't be able to take him upstairs, anyway I don't know why you create so much work for yourself..disposables are soo much easier"

GRRR!!! How on earth did she raise 3 children??? I'm ten years into being married to her son and I still can't beleive it!!

Do any of you have family that boycott CD's and after many years still give you a hassle?!!

raymark 12-03-2012 03:39 PM

Re: Just a vent about MIL and Cd's

I'm sorry you're frustrated with her, but if she is willing to babysit for free I would gladly provide her with sposies, wipes, & stock my house with some of her favorite snacks if I was in your shoes.

qsefthuko 12-03-2012 03:41 PM

:hugs: I'm sorry she is giving you a hard time. When we first started cloth it was buy diapers or pay bills situation. Our families were well aware we had no money for diapers. We were using receiving blankets for diapers. So no one even thought to ask us to buy sposies for one day of use.

qsefthuko 12-03-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark (Post 16001170)
I'm sorry you're frustrated with her, but if she is willing to babysit for free I would gladly provide her with sposies, wipes, & stock my house with some of her favorite snacks if I was in your shoes.

That would be a great idea. Except if I understand op correctly if she were to do this there would be no need for a sitter. All her hair money would be gone.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 12-03-2012 03:45 PM

You know, I was the PITA cloth diapering,etc,etc DIL & all it did was cause tension. My MIL USED cloth diapers with her kids, but then after years of doing daycare & using disposables, she had no interest in dealing with cloth. She has always thought that I make everything harder. Now, 18 years later, I wish I had just done everything the easy way when she watched my kids. A few disposables & wipes aren't a big deal.

It would be nice if MILs wanted to jump through hoops to make us happy, but its not how it is. I wish I had tried harder to compromise in the past. It would have made our relationship soooo much better!

gingerpeachee 12-03-2012 03:49 PM

My mom was a little condescending at first, she would say things to people like, "She does it because it makes her feel like a good mom."....... nope I do it because I like to.... and the fact that it feels normal to me is probably her fault.....

She cloth diapered me and my brother in the 80s and then my little sister in '97 plus she was a teacher at a day care that put all the kids in prefolds with covers. So its not like she doesn't know her way around a diaper.

My whole family on long island thinks I'm so poor I can't afford diapers...
but whatever. My 5 year old thinks that "paper diapers" are crazy-talk, and when I told him that I used paper diapers on him he was very confused.

Don't let her bug you. Just say, "You're a smart capable woman, I know you'll manage."

ETA: My MIL is in another country and I've only spoken to her once, so I don't really know anything about that kind of relationship.

Joyful Tie Dyes 12-03-2012 03:54 PM

For everyone saying "just buy sposies" My oldest DS would blister in sposies so that was not an option.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 12-03-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes (Post 16001225)
For everyone saying "just buy sposies" My oldest DS would blister in sposies so that was not an option.

I would hope that with that kind of situation a MIL would be more understanding. We had that situation with #5, but by then my MIL wasn't talking to me! LOL!

disneylindsay 12-03-2012 04:10 PM

Yep, Oldest dear daughter blisters like crazy in sposies! Also in the winter we do not have any extra's since my hubby works in construction. I guess this is just the icing on the cake. I love them I really do, it is just that they are backward in everything. So completely opposite from me. My MIL is not a worker, never has been, and refuses to do anything and will purposely do it wrong so that she doesn't have to do it another time. She wants to babysit yes, but she also wants all the say in how they are raised. I would have asked my mother, but she is out of town.

My MIL in reality would do anything to not have to change the diapers at all. If poop was not coming up the back she would let them sit in it. She would feed them box after box of Kraft dinner (that I do not have in the house) just because she wanted it and thinks it is a kid friendly meal. Even if I left out a perfectly proper healthy lunch.

The diapers are just another thing that she gives me grief about. If I could I would leave her sposies, but can't for the above reasons. I do so much for her, and she should be happy she has the type of daughter in law that she does as most wouldn't put up with her. LOl If only I had all day to tell you some of the stories.

She actually had my sil come over when it was time to change and then went home for a nap, lol. The hour she was here did her in, lol.

disneylindsay 12-03-2012 04:21 PM

I should probably edit the above to mean my older daughter in diapers (older than the baby, but she pretty much changes herself, lol, just refuses to use the potty!) lol Thankfully the oldest 2 are completly trained and have been for years.

I guess I am just frustrated, and I am very thankful for how much she loves them, and I would never deprive her of a relationship with them EVER!!! I try to make concessions I really do, but I jsut do not see how disposables for her in this situation are any easier? She doesn't have to wash them, so all she has to do is the same as what she would already do...

I will try to scrounge some up for her for another visit, dd just has no choice, unless she wants multiple outfits of her just in undies, or I can let her run naked...lol I can hear the conversation now, lol