Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   have you ever traveled by plane past 36 weeks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469194)

happymama1 12-03-2012 08:27 PM

have you ever traveled by plane past 36 weeks?

please share!

jackobeano 12-04-2012 12:15 AM

Re: have you ever traveled by plane past 36 weeks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by happymama1 (Post 16002352)
please share!

I don't think any of the airlines even allow this.

BubBubsMom 12-04-2012 01:50 AM

I haven't but I know people who have. My cousin did a few days before her son was born. It was only a 2 hour flight though. She used to work for the airlines and she told me (might be a myth) that if a baby is born on the plane, the baby will be able to fly free for the rest of their life with that airline. Lol again, not sure how much truth is in that

MarieSeeking 12-04-2012 03:51 AM

I flew on a 1 hr (40 min in air) direct flight when I was just past 36 weeks.

The airline can't really say anything. Are they going to look at your bump and ask for a note? That whole notion seems ridiculous to me. I flew very frequently through my pregnancy and no one ever batted an eye. One trip I was 30 weeks and went to Hawaii.

happymama1 12-04-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackobeano (Post 16003056)
I don't think any of the airlines even allow this.

many of them actually do. Southwest allows you to fly without a note up to 38 weeks, and up to 39 weeks with a note.

3 ladybugs 12-04-2012 08:52 AM

I have no words of advice but can I just say, you are brave!! I don't even travel more then 2 hours from the hospital when I am past 5 weeks!

Good luck to you!

keen1981 12-04-2012 08:56 AM

Yes :) with no concerns and it was cross country.

jackobeano 12-04-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happymama1 (Post 16003646)
many of them actually do. Southwest allows you to fly without a note up to 38 weeks, and up to 39 weeks with a note.

Wow I didn't know that! I know I won't even travel by car anywhere more than around town past 34 weeks. We are planning a home birth though and I would never want to risk not being able to go through with that plan and have to have a baby in a different city or state at a hospital instead :giggle: Both my LOs did come at 38 weeks though and I've had contractions the whole pregnancy (irritable uterus) so we are wondering how long this little girl will stay put. I doubt past the 38 weeks at least but we will see, babies have a way of surprising you (especially the 3rd one I've heard) ;)

happymama1 12-04-2012 10:00 AM

My brother is getting married 2 1/2 weeks from my due date. Its a 2 hour flight.

For whatever it's worth...we live 45 minutes from the hospital as it is....and I regularly had to drive to doctor's appointments for various reasons 1 1/2-3 hours away during my last pregnancy, including at 38 weeks.

I guess I'm not too worried about a 2 hour direct flight...to the town where my entire family lives, where I used to live, and where my oldest daughter was born. It's a big city...so there would be plenty of options for medical care if needed.

joeslittlewoman 12-04-2012 10:43 AM

Nope. We were supposed to fly out of the country for vacation when I'm 34 weeks, but I am so much bigger than other pregnant ladies tummy-wise that I'm afraid the airlines wouldn't believe I'm not overdue, lol. I don't want to get stuck in Mexico! Between that, and not being able to go on excursions and/or too tired to party, we decided to take a rain check.