Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Partially weaned but not sure which to continue (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469197)

MommyRamer 12-03-2012 08:41 PM

Partially weaned but not sure which to continue

DD just turned 8 mo on the 1st. She's just at 20lbs and as strong as an ox!!! In the last few weeks, she has grown more and more difficult to handle while nursing. Pinching, arching, turning, kicking, scratching.... I make all sorts of things so I've trying to distract her with whatever I can come up with. Necklaces, pictures, even my phone... nothing worked so I decided that for my sanity I needed to supplement at least one feeding with formula. I tried pumping but I suppose she's such an efficient nurser (she drains both sides in about 10-15 min max) that the pump just wasn't cutting it. I got 2 oz total in 45 min... no thanks!

Aaaaanywho.... I was able to keep it at just 1 supplemented feeding for almost 3 weeks until I added another supplemented feeding. The pain in my back, neck , shoulders and arms is nearly unbearable. She only nurses 3x a day with 2 additional feedings of formula and sleeps from 10p-7a. I guess my question is, should I feel guilty about weaning her completely? Formula is a huge expense but I save more that that by using cd instead of 'sposies. My older daughter who is now 7 only bf until 5 mo but I didn't know as much then as I do now. I'm getting really tired of battling with the decision and I need advice.

I apologize if I've only confused you. I need to re-train my brain to finish a thought. (My older child as well as dh have serious cases of ADH-oh-shiny)

BTW, I also have a worsening case of tmj because of this as well. :(

tibeca 12-04-2012 10:22 AM

Re: Partially weaned but not sure which to continue

Only you know what is best for you and your family.

Every drop of breastmilk is a gift to both you and your daughter. The only thing I wouldn't do is abruptly wean. Things change so quickly with children and next month she may be better able to settle and nurse nicely again. I would hate for you to regret weaning, finding that at some point in the near future things change.

menthomas 12-04-2012 08:52 PM

My ds2 just turned 8 months also and this is a difficult age. They are extremely aware if what's going on around them and want to be involved. But it does get better. Ds1 was the same way but he calmed down after a few weeks. You may could try going into a quiet room and try nursing. I like to go in and lay down on my bed. Getting ds1 interested in something and then sneaking off to nurse. Maybe try it and see how it goes.

willowmom 12-16-2012 08:02 AM

My DD is now 11 mo. but around the same time she started doing the super distracted nursing. What I did find helped the most was going into my bedroom with the blinds drawn ( a room with no toys in it!)and even still she needs a quiet room to nurse well most of the time. Do what feels right for you though. If you are getting frustrated she will sense that, so don't feel guilty if it is too frustrating for you. Good luck mama.:goodvibes:

MommyRamer 01-07-2013 10:15 PM

Update:
She has gone to 4 feedings per day now. I was only nursing at the first AM feeding but she didn't seem as settled for her last feeding. Like she needed extra comfort so I transitioned to only nursing her before bed. So far it's working. She just fidgets sooooo much! Thank goodness she hasn't gotten teeth yet. It hurts enough when bites down with her gums and then looks at me with (i swear!) a sneaky look. I'm pretty sure she knows what "No." means but for some reason this one thing she still tries to get away with.
We decided to go with Similac Advanced Organic. Mostly because there's not much of a price difference and surely it's got to taste a least a little better, right?? So now she's 3x bottle and 1x breast before bed.
Thank you mama's for your support! I have been fighting the guilty feeling of not nursing longer. I'm going to hold onto this last feeding as long as I can! We are trying for #3 so I'm not sure how much longer that will be.

:)