Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   At what age is it not appropriate? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469201)

mommy24babes 12-03-2012 08:47 PM

At what age is it not appropriate?

It's having discussion with my Mom and wondering what the consensus is on nakedness/showering with a parent.
Is there an age at which it becomes inappropriate ?
I'll come back to post my feelings on it later.
Just curious.

Eta a question. Why does noticing gender differences make it inappropriate to you ?

firstimemommy44 12-03-2012 08:51 PM

I don't worry about it. My son is almost 3 and we bathe together all the time. It's just the human body if he ever stats getting uncomfortable is.when we'll stop

cdeweese 12-03-2012 08:52 PM

Re: At what age is it not appropriate?

I wouldn't allow my 10 year old to shower with me, but I think it has more to do with your comfort level and the way you feel about nudity/modesty. We have young kids and while we are normally clothed around our kids, they still come to the bathroom with us, etc. To me, it would also be relative to being the same/opposite gender. For example, my 2 year old DD doesnt shower with her Dad (but we dont really shower with our kids anyway).

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-03-2012 08:55 PM

i think after 7ish. ds2 still asks to shower with me and DD sometimes.

Melinda29 12-03-2012 08:56 PM

I won't let my boys see me naked past age 2 or my daughters see DH past age 2. I have vivid memories of my dad naked when I was no more than 3, and it still really bothers me. He was just peeing, but still, I shouldn't know what he looks like...

luvsviola 12-03-2012 08:59 PM

For DS, I started feeling uncomfortable about age 3. DH hasn't felt comfortable with DDs since they were about 2. Usually, he waits til DD2 is down for her nap or I am home to shower, so it isn't an issue.

We don't shower with our kids though. We do a tub assembly line style at bedtime. All 3 kids bathe individually.

moms5angels 12-03-2012 08:59 PM

when my boys start asking me why my parts r diff from theres is when i stop. :giggle: usally around 2-3ish. i stped w/ my youngest son around 2. my dh dosnt shower w/ him nomore cuz he like to yank on dadys ahhmmm..... & ask "whats that?" when his eyes r closed. :giggle2: i still shower w/ my daughter. :)

LittleThingsMama638 12-03-2012 09:04 PM

My 4yo sees me naked and when I go to the bathroom. He's taken a couple showers with me, but mostly just with DH now. My 21mo showers with DH. I don't put too much emphasis on it, but when they clearly start to feel uncomfortable with it, or once DS gets older I will stop.

waterisntsomething 12-03-2012 09:06 PM

I think when someone (parent or child) starts to feel uncomfortable. I went to massage school and the instructors were a married couple wit ha 10 year old boy. They often mentioned that they were very comfortable with nudity intheir house and all often walked around naked. I am personally very comfortable nude and when not living with the in laws :giggle: walk around my hosue naked a lot. I really don't want having kdis to change that. Obviously when my child is hitting puberty I won't be surprised if they are more shy but I don't think nudity ever really has to be inappropriate.
ETA: I feel like I worded that last sentence weird...there are defintiely situations where nudity isn't appropriate but I don't think casual nudity in your own home has to be.

TeachinAuntie 12-03-2012 09:09 PM

I'm still nursing my 3 yo, so he still sees me naked. :/