Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   what do you feed as snacks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469202)

nada87 12-03-2012 09:48 PM

what do you feed as snacks?

My kids have been eating so much junk lately and I am so over it. The kids eat crap way to often. The problem is that they won't eat anything else. I have tried just not buying junk but DH (he is the SAHP) says the will refuse to eat but complain about being hungry all day. DD is only allowed to have fresh fruits/veggies and hard cheeses at her half day kindergarten class so she eats fine the first half of the day but after that it is all down hill. It doesn't help that I have a junk food addiction myself and am a really picky eater. I need snack ideas!!!

luvsviola 12-03-2012 09:55 PM

Re: what do you feed as snacks?

I generally give DD 2 choices from the following:

String Cheese
Grapes
Go-gurt
Banana
Sugar free applesauce
Apple with PB

If she isn't hungry enough to eat what I offer, she isn't really that hungry and can suck it up til dinner.

raymark 12-03-2012 10:07 PM

We all love fresh fruits & veggies. One of my 3 yr old LOVES eating frozen peas, she averages 1/2 lb per day of them. My LOs favorite fruits are berries while fav fresh veggies are bell peppers.

cdeweese 12-03-2012 10:10 PM

Fresh produce, dried fruit, whole grain crackers (can be cheddar, multigrain, etc), cheese, yogurt, occasionally fruit snacks (100% juice) and the fruit/veggie combo "squeezy packs" are the most popular around here. My kids also LOVE dry cereal, granola bars and muffins :)

nicolemariep 12-03-2012 10:20 PM

fruits, veggies, dry cereal, occasionally cheese or crackers

If you're not hungry enough to eat something on that list, dinner will be served at X time.

keen1981 12-03-2012 10:25 PM

I try to stick to nothing processed at home.

So fruit fruit fruit. I keep a lot of variety!
Ds#1 had pineapple, kiwi and a prune.
Ds#2 had pineapple, 2 dates

They eat homemade muffins weekly, homemade breads. Hmmmmm... I make homemade hummus for their carrot sticks, ect.

I keep crackers in the car. With suckers for emergencies!! My kids get candy very very very rarely so a dum dum buys then for an hour. LOL!!

joyous 12-03-2012 10:26 PM

Some of DD's favorites are

-frozen peas
-berries, usually blueberries
-cheese
-avocado slices
-apple slices with peanut butter
-tortilla chips with really mild salsa or by themselves
-cherry tomatoes
-lots of fruit, depending on what we have. Things like grapes, pears, peaches
-whole milk Greek yogurt

Sarahknavy 12-03-2012 10:26 PM

I live blending up streamed veggies and mixing it with strawberry yogurt. My 18 mo old chugs that and I feel like he is getting a vitamin filled healthy snack that keeps him full.

luvof3boyz 12-03-2012 10:30 PM

Smoothies. I even throw in carrots and spinach. They never know.

EmilytheStrange 12-03-2012 10:44 PM

We usually only have 1 snack a day and that's after nap, between lunch and supper.

It's usually an apple. But today it was an orange. Sometimes grapes. Almost always fruit. DD wakes up from naps requesting a 'green apple'.

If there needs to be a morning snack (and on playdate days, there usually is because all the other kids get one), it's something like fruit or yogurt raisins or dry cereal.