Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Santa Believers... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469256)

jbug_4 12-04-2012 07:15 AM

Santa Believers...
 
What do you say when your lo runs across their first non-believer? Just curious. DD said this morning "Did you know that J (boy in her class) didn't think Santa was real?" . I just told her people believe all kinds of different things, that its ok and no big deal if he didn't believe Santa was real. I compared it to favorite colors and told her its just one of the many ways people are different. Then i asked her if she believes Santa is real- She very excitedly said yes like I was insane for even asking her that question.

No Santa debates please.

irishdancemomma 12-04-2012 10:40 AM

I would have said exactly the same thing. DS isn't old enough to even know what's going on at this point, but we plan on taking a very relaxed "What do you think?" approach to the Santa thing. If he wants to play along that's great, if he figures out its a game early on that is fine with us too.

happysmileylady 12-04-2012 11:24 AM

Re: Santa Believers...
 
It would depend on the situation. Someone who doesn't believe because their family celebrates a different holiday instead is going to be different than someone making fun because the child still believes. The former is going to get an explaining that leans more towards different people celebrating different holidays and Santa knowing the difference. The latter is going to lean heavily towards bullies not knowing what they are talking about followed by a story or two about "Christmas magic." And the individual situation would dictate the exact answer, inline with how old the child is as well.

Gerdgrid 12-04-2012 11:25 AM

Re: Santa Believers...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by irishdancemomma (Post 16004155)
I would have said exactly the same thing. DS isn't old enough to even know what's going on at this point, but we plan on taking a very relaxed "What do you think?" approach to the Santa thing. If he wants to play along that's great, if he figures out its a game early on that is fine with us too.

We don't encourage (or discourage) Santa. We leave it entirely up to DS. Whenever he asks about it we also answer with "Well, what do *you* think?"

Geckmumto3 12-04-2012 11:49 AM

Re: Santa Believers...
 
Like so many things, I have basically done a "What do you think..." approach and see where it goes.

When my DD was in grade 3, she had a classmate who announced to the entire class that "Your parents are Santa, there is no Santa!" DD came home and told me, and my initial reaction was sadness (as in, "Oh, I guess it's over...") but I asked her, "Well, what do you think about what Boy said?" and she replied, "Well, I just told him that is impossible. My parents don't have any reindeer."

jbug_4 12-04-2012 12:14 PM

Re: Santa Believers...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 16004399)
It would depend on the situation. Someone who doesn't believe because their family celebrates a different holiday instead is going to be different than someone making fun because the child still believes. The former is going to get an explaining that leans more towards different people celebrating different holidays and Santa knowing the difference. The latter is going to lean heavily towards bullies not knowing what they are talking about followed by a story or two about "Christmas magic." And the individual situation would dictate the exact answer, inline with how old the child is as well.

This boy its for religious reasons. They are Christians focused on Christ rather than gift giving and Santa. In the back of my mind I expected it, but forgot until dd mentioned it. I am a little worried that the boy might get picked on by some of his classmates, but that is not my problem. I have made sure my dd won't pick on him.

eliz7 12-04-2012 02:44 PM

My mom always said Santa is for those who believe. I have said it to my kids and my 11 and 9 year olds both still believe:)

LittleThingsMama638 12-04-2012 07:56 PM

Re: Santa Believers...
 
I told DS that different people have different beliefs. We beleive in Santa but others may not. I do a lot of "what do you think" too.

MyPerfectLife 12-04-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 (Post 16004508)
Like so many things, I have basically done a "What do you think..." approach and see where it goes.

When my DD was in grade 3, she had a classmate who announced to the entire class that "Your parents are Santa, there is no Santa!" DD came home and told me, and my initial reaction was sadness (as in, "Oh, I guess it's over...") but I asked her, "Well, what do you think about what Boy said?" and she replied, "Well, I just told him that is impossible. My parents don't have any reindeer."

That's just awesome! :giggle:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors