Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Double gussets - just an illusion?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469285)

crunchyNurseMommy 12-04-2012 09:13 AM

Double gussets - just an illusion?!

I was always under the impression that double leg gussets on covers provided "double" protection.

But in reality on the inner gusset touches the babies thigh right?

So is double gussets just a marketing tool? Does it help keep a tri-fold in place better?

c&w's mama 12-04-2012 09:20 AM

Re: Double gussets - just an illusion?!

don't know about trifold because it never works for us, but I find the double gusset covers are wider and fit my man so much better ( I had a very big, chunky baby- gained a lb a week up to 17 lbs, then only 1/2 lbs for the next 5)--thirsties (sized) and blueberry will accomodate. I would have called his thighs chunky, but its relative)-- I always reach for them when using a pul cover, as does DH. So much so, I was considering getting rid of my backup covers (aka flip and the like) Back up- back ups are already gone :)

mariamommy 12-04-2012 09:34 AM

I think the only function of a gusset around the leg on a diaper cover is its ability to "snug up" against the thigh better than the outer elastic. This is why they tend to be too tight for chubby babies.

A double gusset with two real layers of protection would be like a rumparooz pocket.

thinkingahead 12-04-2012 11:32 AM

Yes, IMO- I get the best fit (on both kiddos who are different shapes) with bsww. And now I use flips on DD and love them (used on DS at night only when he was 2). I use IV because I think they are cute, but I still have to check and make sure the prefold is covered and I actually see more marks (very light) with those then with bsww.

jennayoung99 12-04-2012 11:54 AM

I think if both gussets are a snug fit, then they work great, you get the double protection. But sometimes the inners are a nice fit and then the outer elastic doesn't even touch the baby, it's just gaping open, I don't see how that will give you double anything.

Jen's_4 12-04-2012 12:59 PM

I think it depends on the child's build whether it will help hold the prefold in place or not. They don't work as well for skinny legs, IMO, because they seem to provide extra bulk room in the diaper, and it always made our prefolds saggy and wierd unless the diapers were REALLY snug. I do think they contain messes better than covers without gussets, but it's not really double.

mamamarisa 12-04-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten (Post 16004880)
I think it depends on the child's build whether it will help hold the prefold in place or not. They don't work as well for skinny legs, IMO, because they seem to provide extra bulk room in the diaper, and it always made our prefolds saggy and wierd unless the diapers were REALLY snug. I do think they contain messes better than covers without gussets, but it's not really double.

same here

hilaryisinked 12-04-2012 02:02 PM

Yeah Thirsties double gussets have never appeared to do anything for my kids since only one of them actually touches the child. Like PP said RaR double gussets actually provide extra protection. I love that about them.

me_just_me 12-04-2012 02:38 PM

Yeah, all the "double gusset" diapers seem to actually do is create a deeper area for a thick insert/diaper. It works well if you are trifolding prefolds or trying to fit a cover over a bulky fitted. But it doesn't actually give double the protection for us.

They never worked on my kids since they all have had very chunky thighs. I really don't care for covers with the double gusset added. They seem bulkier, stiffer and less forgiving on chubby baby thighs.