Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dry Homebirth, Water Homebirth or Hospital Birth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469359)

*TinyJoys* 12-04-2012 11:35 AM

Dry Homebirth, Water Homebirth or Hospital Birth?

I'm starting to do some research on which labor and delivery method I would like to do, I'm still really early (not due till early July) but I thought this would be a good starting point for my research. I need some opinions on which method, based on preference and experience, you think is best and any pros and cons. Also, my SIL had a water homebirth back in September and her husband accompanied her in the pool and while she was pushing part of his face went in the water. He then ended up with a severe ear infection. How common is this? Should I be concerned about infections when considering a water birth (I mean this is in a sincere way, so please be nice)? I have had 1 hospital birth and it was a good experience but am considering a possible homebirth this time.

Kiliki 12-04-2012 12:13 PM

Re: Dry Homebirth, Water Homebirth or Hospital Birth?

My first, was a hospital birth. I labored in the tub, and then delivered on the bed.

My second, my labor was 1.5 hrs long, at home. I was in the tub for maybe the last 15 mins. The tub was only full to about my calves (we didn't have time to fill it up!). So maybe 6" of water? I can't really say it was a water birth, since the water didn't even cover my butt. But I guess you could call it that if you wanted to?

Third was also at home, in a tub, which was full, a "TRUE" water birth.

So I think I have a pretty wide variety of experiences. :)

Personally, I much MUCH prefer the comfort of giving birth at home. I have always been low risk, and have never had a baby w/pain meds or anything. So, that plays a factor. Obviously for some, this is not an option. I personally find it to be far better than delivering in a hospital.

As far as the water or not, it's really a personal thing. I find the water to be very soothing, comforting, and relaxing. Which I love. I laughed for most of my 3rd labor, (except when the baby started crowning) b/c I was so comfortable and relaxed during labor in the tub. It was great. That was my most "fun" labor.

I've heard the pain relief compared to an epidural. Sometimes called an "aquadural" Personally, I find this to be true. When I was forced from the tub to the bed with my first child in the hospital, I remember the pain being SO MUCH MORE INTENSE than in the tub.

bigmamakelsey 12-04-2012 12:26 PM

I've had 2 home births. The first was at attempted water birth, but in the heat of labor I didn't like the tub (which is weird, because I'm a HUGE bath person) and ended up having him on our futon. With the second, I decided to go the same route and have him out of water. Both experiences were wonderful. Most people feel that the water helps with the pain, but I found it just wasn't for me. It's worth a try if you'd like to, you could have the tub there and decide in the moment where you want it to happen. It's nice to have options. HTH:)

keen1981 12-04-2012 12:32 PM

Water home!

cdeweese 12-04-2012 12:38 PM

I'm much more comfortable in a hospital :) I've never had anyone force me to do anything and I'm more able to relax.

NappyChappy 12-04-2012 12:58 PM

I had DS at home dry, but I did take a lot of showers. We are planning on the same thing. My MW has a pool but I just can't handle the thought of soaking in labor fluids.

As for birthing at home I loved it- we went grocery shopping, on a walk, and had lunch. All in my control and I was able to let my body tell me what we needed without intervention.

JennTheMomma 12-04-2012 12:59 PM

Dry or water homebirth

evasimone 12-04-2012 01:32 PM

I am planning for a home waterbirth. I've done a lot of research and one of the perks to a waterbirth besides reduced pain is the ability to be weightless and get in positions you normally wouldn't be able or comfortable in because of your weight. I feel like a hippo right now so that pretty much sold me on it. :giggle:

Bella Catalina 12-04-2012 01:34 PM

Two home waterbirths after one dry hospital birth. My labors are all fast and intense and start with SROM. The water makes a big difference, though I think I got into the tub too late this time--I was in 2nd stage, baby was born 10 minutes later, and I just didn't really get that relief this time, though it was still worlds better than my dry birth. This also could be due to the fact that this baby was my biggest by an entire pound and a quarter. The time before, I got into the tub during transition, and the relief was instant.

ClemsonMama87 12-04-2012 01:36 PM

DD was a hospital birth but I labored for a while in their tub but kept having to get out every 20 minutes to get on the stupid monitor which pretty much negated being in the tub. DS was a dry homebirth and was great! Although his birth was longer, I got to be in control of where I went, what I are/drank, and what position I was in. I also wasn't constantly reminded that I "wasn't going to get a medal for going natural" (what my OB lovingly told me during DD's labor).