Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mastitis HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469360)

Lolobug 12-04-2012 11:36 AM

Mastitis HELP!

Hi everyone!
Yesterday I was exhausted, achy and had a headache. DH is away so I just chalked it up to exhaustion. My breast (right only) felt engorged yesterday and by nighttime it HURT! My baby is 15 months and has been nursing a LOT. My breast doesn't feel any relief. It is hot, red, engorged. Feels warm to the touch and hurts a LOT when nursing. My doc called me in a script for antibiotics without seeing me. Could this be thrush, too? I'm having all over breast and nipple pain.
Thanks!

Agla 12-04-2012 11:46 AM

Ouch. It sounds like mastitis from what you described.

Connor 12-04-2012 01:40 PM

You need to nurse and rest as much as possible. Lots of warm compresses and breast massage (massage down towards the nipple.) Also, do this while nursing. Point baby's chin towards engorged area. Use the sink or a bowl, fill with very warm water, lean over with your breast in the bowl and massage. Drink plenty of fluids, nurse, and rest. :)

Lolobug 12-04-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor
You need to nurse and rest as much as possible. Lots of warm compresses and breast massage (massage down towards the nipple.) Also, do this while nursing. Point baby's chin towards engorged area. Use the sink or a bowl, fill with very warm water, lean over with your breast in the bowl and massage. Drink plenty of fluids, nurse, and rest. :)

Thank you! Is it supposed to hurt so much while nursing?

yogamama28 12-04-2012 02:02 PM

Yep, it'll hurt like heck while you nurse but its the best medicine for mastitis. Take some probiotics if you start the antibiotics.

Lolobug 12-04-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogamama28
Yep, it'll hurt like heck while you nurse but its the best medicine for mastitis. Take some probiotics if you start the antibiotics.

How long do you take probiotics? Thx!

Connor 12-04-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolobug

I would continue a week after finishing the antibiotics.

yogamama28 12-04-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolobug

I always take them for at least the full course of antibiotics and usually a few days longer.

Lolobug 12-06-2012 05:52 PM

Thank you!!

mommaagain 12-06-2012 07:01 PM

Re: Mastitis HELP!

Nurse as often as possible. Go bra-less. Nurse that side first. It may help if you pump a bit after feedings. (If you can and if you can tolerate it.) Is it possible you have a blocked nipple pore (aka milk blister, bleb)? It would look like a small white blister on the nipple. Can be very small, but they do hurt quite a bit while nursing.