Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Sour sinks, slimy drains (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469381)

debcita429 12-04-2012 12:16 PM

Sour sinks, slimy drains

What non-bleach methods do you use on kitchen drains? Baking soda and vinegar once or twice a month helps, but lately it is simply not cutting it. Actually even occasional bleach use hasn't really cut it that well or for that long. Is oxygen bleach such as Biokleen's effective? I do not have a garbage disposal and thus cannot get a product to simply "sit" in the drain; it has to be able to work on the go.

jbug_4 12-04-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Sour sinks, slimy drains

I use Bar keepers friend but I have no idea how green it is. Something you can do that will help is pour boiling water down you drain once a week. I usually don't boil water for this purpose but usually just use the pasta water for that purpose- also pouring some down the tub and bathroom drains as well. Helps move the slime along.

debcita429 12-04-2012 12:35 PM

I do have some Bar Keepers on hand that I occasionally use on the sink proper (but I think baking soda works about as well). However it is not green and definitely bothers my head and lungs. I didn't realize it was good on the drains though. That might be a better option than pouring bleach down (as I've resorted to). Thanks. :)

Since I am gluten free and don't eat pasta, I all but never pour boiling water down the sink. That is a good idea and may be the reason why I don't recall our sinks ever smelling this bad growing up.

jbug_4 12-04-2012 05:55 PM

Yeah try some boiling water. I asked dh about it when I read on part of the 50's house wife chore list to pour boiling water down the drains once a week. He said its a pretty good idea. I guess maybe people stopped doing it because of harsher cleaners? I have no idea but it does seem to melt the gunk away- especially in the tub where we get soap buildup.

debcita429 12-04-2012 06:05 PM

I did it tonight with some BarKeeps. I guess in most houses people end up pouring boiling water down kitchen drains b/c of pasta or what have you, and my kitchen sink has lacked that. Thanks :).

okiemama 12-06-2012 06:03 PM

Ot but you don't ever use gluten free pasta? It piqued my interest lol

debcita429 12-06-2012 06:15 PM

Okie, I use gluten free pasta maybe once every six months :). So I don't really think that counts.

okiemama 12-06-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429 (Post 16014504)
Okie, I use gluten free pasta maybe once every six months :). So I don't really think that counts.

Ok just wondering lol I'm gf considering going paleo eek!

debcita429 12-06-2012 07:25 PM

Most of the people in my biblestudy do crossfit. So they are all kind of into paleo... except when they are eating southern comfort foods, lol. They get into both extremes.