Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The whole house smells like pee... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469396)

mamaspice 12-04-2012 12:32 PM

From these darned night-time inserts!

They stink so bad as soon as they are peed in. Pretty sure they have build up of some kind because when I got a few new ones a while back and they didn't stink right away.. A little bleach in every load has pretty much cleared up the issues with the daytime dipes, but these are out of control.

I think I want to try stripping with oxy in the washer with all my dipes for good measure- anyone have any tips?

All of my dipes are cotton or hemp. The bad offenders are Thirsties hemp prefolds and a Flip Organic.

Or should I just pull out the night time ones and try Oxy and Vinegar?

I don't really want to rinse them each morning. I just want them not to stink!

kirst 12-04-2012 12:45 PM

Re: The whole house smells like pee...

I recently had good luck with a 3 hour soak in hot water and Calgon followed by an overnight soak in Rockin Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer. Then washed normally followed by 5 rinses. I had mf, hemp and a few cotton and bamboo diapers.

I did not soak any covers, or anything with PUL. I was a bit scared but had really good results. The water was yellow and murky in the morning. Iam am not sure about Oxy for a long soak but I would not use vinegar as it could make it worse.

GMDkaren 12-04-2012 01:18 PM

After you bleach again to fix the problem ones, start rinsing out the morning diapers and wring them out before they go in the pail.

mamaspice 12-04-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDkaren
After you bleach again to fix the problem ones, start rinsing out the morning diapers and wring them out before they go in the pail.

I am using 1/4 cup of bleach in each load already- should I try more on the problem ones?

juliasmom 12-04-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDkaren (Post 16004963)

Advice from the master :) Toddler pee is potent. It is normal for overnight inserts to get stinky in the pail. Rinse them in the am, and I would wetpail the inserts with Oxi or BacOut if rinsing alone doesnt solve the problem.

mamaspice 12-04-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom

Advice from the master :) Toddler pee is potent. It is normal for overnight inserts to get stinky in the pail. Rinse them in the am, and I would wetpail the inserts with Oxi or BacOut if rinsing alone doesnt solve the problem.

It is potent indeed! These stink as soon as they are peed in. Not ammonia per se but it might be a component of the cocktail. It smells almost sulpheric.

Maybe I could handle a wetpail somewhere. Our downstairs sink just isn't great for rinsing and I hate messing with diapers first thing in the morning.

Nat4 12-04-2012 02:06 PM

I've done an overnight soak in RLR, and loved the results. I also wring my inserts/diapers out in the morning before pailing them.

me_just_me 12-04-2012 03:00 PM

With my DS, I got to the point where I had to rinse out morning diapers as well. I just kept a bucket in the bathroom and would rinse and toss in the bucket. That way I never had to carry a wet diaper to the pail. Sometimes I would wet pail them too - especially if they needed something to help get the smell out. For a long time I would wet pail with vinegar since we were dealing with ammonia. I could fit the bucket under the sink

bigmamakelsey 12-04-2012 03:04 PM

I would switch detergents, rinse out morning dipes and spray with bac out, and make sure your pail has no lid.

jennayoung99 12-04-2012 06:55 PM

I have to rinse my night time diapers out like crazy, then I put them in a wet pail with vinegar.