Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why do people pos on Facebook about... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469423)

dancermommy1 12-04-2012 01:48 PM

Why do people pos on Facebook about...

How proud they are that they finally let their baby CIO? I mean, that's fine if that's what worked for your family, but why is it a bragging point for some? It confuses me, that's all. End of mini rant/complaint

EmilytheStrange 12-04-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Why do people pos on Facebook about...

why do people post on facebook about most things?

I don't remember complaining about my child's sleep regresssion or potty training problems or whatever on facebook, but I see it from plenty of other people.

I guess because it opens a door for a conversation. One of their friends may be dealing with a similar 'problem' and find comfort in knowing they're not alone or something.

I also think that most people are under the impression that everyone does these things. Everyone starts solids at 4months, everyone does CIO, everyone does whatever.... especially first time parents who think that all their issues are unique to their baby.

I remember one facebook post that was titled: 'question for mothers of boys' and the parent of pretty much any child could have answered it.. it wasn't really gender-special like the parent thought.. but they didn't know that.

anyways.. I know you were just ranting... but really, I think people are just trying to make a connection. Maybe they want someone to commisserate and say it'll be okay and that they didn't ruin their child for life. Who knows.

dancermommy1 12-04-2012 02:29 PM

Yeah probably. I just thought it odd. You're right tho. It's no stranger than posting a photo of what you cooked yourself for dinner I guess...

mibarra 12-04-2012 02:56 PM

Because they can. Facebook is full of inane comments. Such is life. ;)

luvsviola 12-04-2012 03:07 PM

I think sometimes when parents are still not fully convinced they are doing the right thing, they post it on there seeking validation and approval. They are really looking for people to tell them that they are doing something wonderful for the child because they are not confident in their parenting.

happysmileylady 12-04-2012 03:10 PM

For the same reason others post how proud they are that they cloth diaper or extended rear face or extended bf or gave solids at 2 months or did BLW or any of the other eleventy billion parenting choices that so so so many people think are so important and....just aren't.

mekat 12-04-2012 03:16 PM

Because believe it or not letting a child CIO is hard. Squelching your desire to run to them and rescue them the minute they make the smallest peep is difficult. I had a child who would not go to sleep without CIO. I tried other methods first cosleeping, holding etc... nothing worked. CIO was hard and it wasn't something I wanted to do but it was the only thing that worked for my son. While I never felt the need to brag about it I can understand why someone would because it takes a lot of fortitude to listen to the crying and not respond immediately. It is no different then bragging about breastfeeding or cloth diapering in my book because CIO is hard thing to do parent wise. Just because CIO isn't something you would do doesn't make it less of a parenting milestone for another parent.

EmmaGM 12-04-2012 03:17 PM

Similarly why do parents brag about how young their child did x, y, z as if the parent had anything to do with it?

EmilytheStrange 12-04-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 16005467)
Similarly why do parents brag about how young their child did x, y, z as if the parent had anything to do with it?

and this is why I don't post anything on facebook really at all.

because sometimes you're just proud of your kid.
you're not trying to brag or say 'my kid did this because I'm an awesome parent'.
you're just proud of your kid.

and people want to be offended about everything.

EmmaGM 12-04-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16005560)

and this is why I don't post anything on facebook really at all.

because sometimes you're just proud of your kid.
you're not trying to brag or say 'my kid did this because I'm an awesome parent'.
you're just proud of your kid.

and people want to be offended about everything.

I guess because I have a couple crazy cats on my fb that will post stuff like, "MY TWO MONTH OLD IS TOTALLY POTTY TRAINED IM SUPER MOMMY."