Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can food poisoning cause miscarriage? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469442)

MyM&W 12-04-2012 02:29 PM

Can food poisoning cause miscarriage?

I got food poisoning from a friends house.. they are horders and are filthy so my friend and I have been going over and trying to help...well they offered us lunch yesterday and it was just squash and baked potatoes. I was using a cloth to scrub all surfaces in the kitchen (with a cleaner) and had left the rag on the counter while I washed my hand's...well I came back into the kitchen and 3 of the potatoes were touching the dirty rag...not to mention my friend said a few of the potatoes were soft (not used) and some had green spots...
Anyway...dr thinks I have food poisoning. I've had extremely bad abdominal cramps about two hours after we ate. They have lasted all day..so bad that I have to stop and grab near my ribs and bend over. I've also gone #2 a dozen times today :( my friend had loose stools and my 3yo has been fussy, passive a lot of gas and holding his belly. I know for a fact that we all got food poisoning. :(

Now I just want to make sure the babe is safe..I'm 12 weeks today.

Sorry for the novel :p

MyM&W 12-04-2012 02:33 PM

My poor boy is passing so much gas even while he's napping on me :( I can hear all the noises in bis tummy :(

qsefthuko 12-04-2012 02:44 PM

Re: Can food poisoning cause miscarriage?

I had food poisoning when about 2-3 months pregnant with my first child. I had previously had severe cramping and bleeding with cramps before this happened. Despite having had previous problems the food poisoning didn't seem to cause my baby any harm. She is now a healthy 13 year old. My sister went to a wedding and came home with food poisoning. She was around 5-6 months pregnant. Her child is now a healthy 4 almost 5 year old.

I was told the main concern is dehydration because this can trigger contractions. So keep hydrated and try not to worry too much.

MyM&W 12-04-2012 02:47 PM

Thanks for the reassurance mama. :) I will def keep hydrated.

lynn97 12-04-2012 11:11 PM

That sounds awful, OP! I would call your doctor to make sure they don't want you to do anything different. I would imagine they'll just tell you to hydrate and rest but check in just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JulieBeth 12-04-2012 11:16 PM

I had food poisoning with Clara and had a really, really bad stomach virus with Emma early on. Keep hydrated.

mommajewels 12-05-2012 06:17 AM

I got severe food poisoning while pregnant with #3 at Thanksgiving. EVERYONE that ate the deviled eggs (expired mayo, ugh, thanks mom!) got it and we were all pretty sick. I had to spend a few hrs in the ER on an IV fluid & getting IV Zofran, but baby was fine and they never really showed any concern that it would cause me to miscarry. They were just focused on getting the puking stopped & keeping me hydrated. Hope y'all get to feelin' better soon!!

chandni3 12-05-2012 09:29 AM

I think that you're far enough along that it should be fine. I also remember reading it listeria that is the bad one, most other food poisonings should not hurt the baby. Sorry about that, hope it's over fast.

lynn97 12-05-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandni3
I think that you're far enough along that it should be fine. I also remember reading it listeria that is the bad one, most other food poisonings should not hurt the baby. Sorry about that, hope it's over fast.

Yes, Listeria was my concern when I mentioned calling your doctor. And, frankly, I wouldn't clean at the hoarder's house any more while you're pregnant...there are probably a lot of weird bacteria and such in that type of environment that I would be leery of.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MyM&W 12-05-2012 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the responses :)