Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Best carrier for an XS mama (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469487)

umphreysmommy 12-04-2012 05:32 PM

Best carrier for an XS mama

Hey ladies,

My very good friend is expecting and I told her I would take care of getting her a carrier. I have a few ideas but thought I would take it to you mamas. She is very small though like 4'10" and 95lbs prepregnancy or about.

I have heard the beco is good for smaller moms and would be my number 1 choice for ease of use. I think she will get fed up with a moby because there was so much fabric even for me and I am twice her size. How is the KTAN? Isn't it stretchy but already wrapped up? I also really want to get her an XS WCRS but worry the learning curve will be too much and she won't love it and use it. She is 4 hours away from me but I do plan on going once she has the baby do I could teach her.

shortcake2386 12-04-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Best carrier for an XS mama

a mei tai. ergos are way too wide in the shoulders for me(105lbs, 5'2) and she's smaller. i dont like any wraps. ring slings are hit or miss but they all seem to hurt my back?? my mai tais are all great and dh can wear them too

umphreysmommy 12-04-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386
a mei tai. ergos are way too wide in the shoulders for me(105lbs, 5'2) and she's smaller. i dont like any wraps. ring slings are hit or miss but they all seem to hurt my back?? my mai tais are all great and dh can wear them too

Is there a specific brand you prefer? I have a babyhawk and a wrap converted but I really worry she will be turned off by all the extra length on the ties. They are so long and I love baby wearing. I know she will be Luke warm at best so I want super easy and no complaints.

shortcake2386 12-04-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphreysmommy (Post 16006039)
Is there a specific brand you prefer? I have a babyhawk and a wrap converted but I really worry she will be turned off by all the extra length on the ties. They are so long and I love baby wearing. I know she will be Luke warm at best so I want super easy and no complaints.

i have a wahm with shorter straps and a babyhawk. i twist the straps to take care of the excess

hohaas 12-05-2012 06:03 AM

I'm 5'1" 110 lbs and I prefer mei tais, specifically WCMTs, but I had a babyhawk that worked well for me previously. Anything one-shouldered makes my back hurt.

kushie tushie 12-05-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386

i have a wahm with shorter straps and a babyhawk. i twist the straps to take care of the excess

I'm about as small as you and have a few babyhawks as well. MT and oh snaps. They works best for me so structured carriers b/c they are smaller. I also have a moby, ring slings, pouch slings..... But for SSC I would go with babyhawk.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Shimpie 12-05-2012 09:47 AM

I'm 5'1", but fluffy. I'm fairly petite on top. The BabyHawk OhSnap was too big for me and so was an Ergo. The Becco wasn't quite right either. I could never get the straps tighted down enough on any of them. I suppose they would have fit when DD was little older, but I didn't want to wait until she was 7 or 8 months old (she'll be petite too). I ended up getting petite versions of a Bamberoo and a Dream Carrier, however those are rare and hard to find.

I used a Moby wrap up to three months and also thought there was too much fabric. It was okay for BWing around the house. I hated wrapping outdoors, especially when the ground was wet. A ring sling was convenient for short periods of time, like grocery shopping trips. Basically, I wore a Moby or a ring sling until DD was big enough to go into a SSC.

I considered a half buckle mei tai if I couldn't find a SSC with short enough straps. If the waist had a buckle and the top straps tied, that would be the perfect combination.

umphreysmommy 12-05-2012 10:57 AM

Ok looks like a MT will be best. Any recs for WAHMs with shorter straps?

keonli 12-05-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 16007564)
I'm about as small as you and have a few babyhawks as well. MT and oh snaps. They works best for me so structured carriers b/c they are smaller. I also have a moby, ring slings, pouch slings..... But for SSC I would go with babyhawk.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Agree with this. I'm 5'1" and used a BH when I was about 118-130 lbs. The straps were long but you could trim them to fit your needs. I used a Moby early on and then switched to a BH.

sweetDD 12-05-2012 09:19 PM

Maybe,. she can try a lightweight SSC, I was small and had been using the Action Baby Carrier. I've seen this video the reviewer is 5'2ft ,110lbs ,. hope this helps, Goodluck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-W_l5jTLA