Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Teaching reading to an uninterested child (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469498)

AzulMariposa 12-04-2012 06:11 PM

Teaching reading to an uninterested child

I am fighting a loosing battle with my 6 year old. I can not get her to retain reading knowledge. She knows some sight words (the ones she started on in public kindergarten last year) but she will not sound things out at all. I have a book called secret stories that she likes, it has stories about why letters and blends make the sounds thet do, etc. She lpves them but she doesnt remember them either. She is also having social issues and her therapist started talking aboit "socialization" the other day and I about snapped. She has plenty of chances to be around people, she just chooses not too. Any tips or btdt stories or even hugs will be greatly appriciated.

teacherpippi 12-04-2012 06:26 PM

Re: Teaching reading to an uninterested child

I am a PS teacher, so take my advice as you will :mrgreen:.

Honestly, I'd back off for about 6 months. It sounds like she isn't ready right now. Barring a learning disability/vision issues/etc, most kids learn how to read when they're ready. You said your dd is seeing a therapist, so if there are back issues I am not aware of, just disregard the following!

Read to her. Go to the library and get books about things she's interested in. Do projects. Throw in a Leap Frog DVD if she likes those sorts of things. Does she like to cook? Maybe have her help with recipes or get a kids cook book. Read the funnies in the paper.

Re-evaluate in 6 months and see where she is in getting ready to learn to read.

What I tell parents- I can give kids ALL sorts of interventions to try to make them readers. If they aren't ready, it does diddly squat. I see my job to give students many opportunities to interact with rich, wonderful stories and texts. I offer them the skills they need to become better readers. But, they make that magic leap when they are ready to learn to read.

luvof3boyz 12-04-2012 07:00 PM

Some kids are not ready to read until 8. That is perfectly okay and she will catch up. Research is now showing that it is better to wait. You want it to be enjoyable and not stressful. A love of books and reading will last a lifetime. Read to her a lot instead. I read 2 hours a day to my 8 and 6 year old.
Have you ever heard of the video by leap frog called letter factory? My kids enjoyed this DVD and learned their letter sounds. Don't worry all kids are different. You are giving her a better education.

tallanvor 12-04-2012 07:05 PM

I was also going to suggest backing off for awhile.

My other thought concerns her learning style -- are you using that to teach her? It's possible she's not ready yet, and also possible she needs to learn it another way.

katiejack 12-04-2012 07:15 PM

I am also going to echo the suggestion of backing off. I used to be an elementary teacher and then a reading tutor and my son was not ready until he was about 6.5 yrs. old to even start reading by himself (with my guidance of course).

During that 1/2 year before he attempted to start to read, we went to the library twice a week and checked out every book that he said looked interesting. I read to him a lot. We checked out a lot of books - about 30 at a time. The only formal exercise that we did was to work on the vowel sounds - because these are often where beginning readers mess up reading words.

Then, after about 6 months I tried again and he took a couple months to figure out the "code" of reading and now, at age 8, he is reading at a fourth grade reading level. It just clicked with him and he took off!

AzulMariposa 12-05-2012 06:26 AM

She just started the therapy, she is javing some social anxiety. I knew it was better to take is slow, people just keep pressuring me, comparing her to my oldest who loves to read, comparing her to other first graders, etc. And since readong is so useful for all subjects, I just worry. The therapist was warning me about getting her caught up and getting a tutor and everything else, on top of my already having a stressful busy day, and I about lost it. When I work with her it is 5-10 minutes, and she enjoys it. If I start to get annoyed we quit and I read her a vouple books instead. If she starts to get annoyed I encourage her to finish the book she is on and then we quit. I only work on reading with her when we can be alone, so she doesn't have to worry about others correcting her. She also loves the books and best frirnds progr at the library. She will practoce a bool for 2 weeks so she can read it to yhe fogs at the library.

AzulMariposa 12-05-2012 06:44 AM

She just started the therapy, she is javing some social anxiety. I knew it was better to take is slow, people just keep pressuring me, comparing her to my oldest who loves to read, comparing her to other first graders, etc. And since readong is so useful for all subjects, I just worry. The therapist was warning me about getting her caught up and getting a tutor and everything else, on top of my already having a stressful busy day, and I about lost it. When I work with her it is 5-10 minutes, and she enjoys it. If I start to get annoyed we quit and I read her a vouple books instead. If she starts to get annoyed I encourage her to finish the book she is on and then we quit. I only work on reading with her when we can be alone, so she doesn't have to worry about others correcting her. She also loves the books and best frirnds progr at the library. She will practice a book for 2 weeks so she can read it to the dogs at the library.

So, should i keep up at the current rate, or slow down? I am just so frustrated that the therapist is trying to blame homeschooling for her social problems. She had been in daycares since 2 and has been showing signs of social anxiety at least that long. It got 5 times worse when she went to public school last year.

nana_of_12 12-08-2012 09:44 PM

better late than early is my motto. i believe children should begin learning to read totally at their own pace. i taught my two sons to read. one was 8 when he was ready, the other was 6. it totally depends on the child.
my rule of thumb was to wait until the child started asking, "what does that say?" that was their sign they were ready. my 8 yr old went from k5 to 3rd grade reading in 6 months because he was old enough to grasp the concepts.
just keep introducing her to flash cards, blend ladders, etc and u will know when she is ready. don't give up hope and remember we are all created differently.
oh, i just thought of one more thing that helped my 6 yr old. he is an auditory learner and learned to read by totally singing everything out.

moms5angels 12-08-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 16006292)
I was also going to suggest backing off for awhile.

My other thought concerns her learning style -- are you using that to teach her? It's possible she's not ready yet, and also possible she needs to learn it another way.

i was gonna say this too. my son who has autism learns best through videos & games. somtimes we even make up fun lil sayings to help him remember things too. if hes not ready to learn a new subject. we bk off & teach it @ a latter time.

luvof3boyz 12-09-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana_of_12 (Post 16021848)
better late than early is my motto. i believe children should begin learning to read totally at their own pace. i taught my two sons to read. one was 8 when he was ready, the other was 6. it totally depends on the child.
my rule of thumb was to wait until the child started asking, "what does that say?" that was their sign they were ready. my 8 yr old went from k5 to 3rd grade reading in 6 months because he was old enough to grasp the concepts.
just keep introducing her to flash cards, blend ladders, etc and u will know when she is ready. don't give up hope and remember we are all created differently.
oh, i just thought of one more thing that helped my 6 yr old. he is an auditory learner and learned to read by totally singing everything out.

Did you read Dr. Raymond Moore? His legacy has been forgotton in today's modern homeschooling.