Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Curious...What does your state require? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469592)

luvof3boyz 12-04-2012 09:54 PM

Curious...What does your state require?

I live in Minnesota. The only thing we have to do is have our children 7 and older take a standardized test of our choosing. We don't even have to turn them into anyone.:headscratch:

What do other states have to do?

AbbieJack 12-04-2012 09:56 PM

Re: Curious...What does your state require?

We live in Texas and we don't have to do anything at all.

tallanvor 12-04-2012 10:29 PM

Nada in Oklahoma.

Nevada was letter of intent by age 7 that they kept on file for 15 years.

Alaska and Michigan were also nothing, though Alaska has the bestest, most awesomest support system.

EmmaGM 12-04-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbieJack (Post 16007050)

Yes. Same in Michigan, where I'm from.

Jen's_4 12-05-2012 10:53 AM

That's really wierd that you have to do standard testing and then not turn them in. :headscratch:

We live in Missouri. You are supposed to keep some sort of records. It could be a diary, notebook, teacher's plan book, or just a calendar. We're supposed to log our hours--1000 per year, for ages 7-16. 600 of those hours have to be core subjects--LA, math, social studies, science, and reading. 400 (of the 600 core hours) must be taught in your home, or main school location. We also need to keep a sample of the child's work. All that is really just a formality though in case your homeschooling comes into question...which I have never seen happen, and a lot of people here do not keep records. I do though, just in case.

KaleidoscopeEyes 12-05-2012 11:01 AM

You beat me to it MO lol

oregonmom 12-05-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbieJack (Post 16007050)

We moved from Idaho to Texas in August. Idaho was the same as Texas. There is no registering, no testing, and no real checking up on you at all.

luvof3boyz 12-05-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten (Post 16008620)
That's really wierd that you have to do standard testing and then not turn them in. :headscratch:

We live in Missouri. You are supposed to keep some sort of records. It could be a diary, notebook, teacher's plan book, or just a calendar. We're supposed to log our hours--1000 per year, for ages 7-16. 600 of those hours have to be core subjects--LA, math, social studies, science, and reading. 400 (of the 600 core hours) must be taught in your home, or main school location. We also need to keep a sample of the child's work. All that is really just a formality though in case your homeschooling comes into question...which I have never seen happen, and a lot of people here do not keep records. I do though, just in case.

I believe they just want the parents to be aware if their children are behind in any subject. Also if your home educating came into question you have proof of how they are doing.

We can take whatever tests we want. My good friend even has someone administer a oral test. The person administering the test must have a college degree.

R055ANA 12-05-2012 11:19 AM

How awesome to read all of you who don't have much with homeschooling state requirements.

We live in the wonderful city of Philadelphia.. A few yrs ago the city decided homeschoolers have to file an intent to homeschool @ age 6 until age 8.

Around 8, we have to start our filing process. In the beginning of the yr we have to send in a notarized affidavit stating the objectives, medical forms and info about the student and the parent. At the end of the yr we have to submit a portfolio to be evaluated by a professional teacher or psychologist, parent gets to chose which evaluator. The portfolio must include samples demonstrating growth. We don't need to have a certain # of samples, just enough to show growth. After getting the evaluation we also have to turn in this stuff to the SD w/ the evaluation letter. We have to include a log (which list reading materials used) and an attendance sheet showing we did our required # of days or hours. In grade 3, 5 and 8 we have to do standardized testing and that does also have to be turned into the school district.

This may seem terrible but you can do it w/ minimal discomfort.

I am fortunate since I have a teaching degree because I file as a private tutor. All I have to do is turn in a criminal background check, a copy of my teaching certificate in a letter at the beginning and at the end of the yr a letter saying instructional requirements have been met.

Do I wish it was easier? most certainly but it could be worse and this is doable.

thirdtimemomma 12-05-2012 11:31 AM

Yep MO is don't tell unless your brought to court. But if you pull your kids out you have to have a letter.