Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   6yr old sleep problems (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469632)

jennym91005 12-05-2012 03:39 AM

6yr old sleep problems

My son is 6 and has woken up multiple times a night forever now. He takes melatonin b4 bed but still wakes all night. He wants his door open, a drink, or for no reason at all. He calls out so he wakes everyone up including my 2 yr old. W have tried rewards and punishments, and he also knows that he van get up and color or read or whatever. Any other experiences or tips or anything?
Thanks, Jen

Suzi 12-05-2012 04:43 AM

Re: 6yr old sleep problems

Wow, that's a hard one since his body is so used to this. Our sleep issues aren't quite that bad. I will throw a few ideas out there.
Try to anticipate what he could want during the night and have it ready.
Would he sleep better in a warmer room, room darkening shades/curtains, white noise?
Make up a visual chart so he knows what he could be doing when he wakes up
Try a reward for a couple of months if he doesn't wake u up. It could be money to buy something he wants, or a mark and after he gets twenty marks he gets something.
Keep waking him up on time, even if he hasn't slept
Take all toys out of his room so his body can learn that his room is for sleeping only
No caffeine or dyes
Be very flat/neutral if he does wake u up
Cosleeping?
Night light
Teach him some basic relaxation stuff he could try at night
That's all I got, I'm sure you've tried most already

jennym91005 12-05-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. He had a white noise thing but it broke but now he has a fish tank that he like the sound of. He has a night light, a sip of water next to his bed, sometimes we open his door a little b4 we go to sleep, he doesn't have toys in his room, just a desk and books but he never does anything in his room alone, we have tried the reward chat and he has heavy navy blue curtains bc he goes to bed early. We have tried moving his bedtime later then it is (6pm) but it doesn't do anything except make him tired and grouchy the next day... I can't Co sleep, i just sleep best alone. See i also have insomnia, so maybe he will just always be a crappy sleeper (thank God i can work overnights). Thanks for your suggestions, i appreciate it

jennym91005 12-05-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. He had a white noise thing but it broke but now he has a fish tank that he like the sound of. He has a night light, a sip of water next to his bed, sometimes we open his door a little b4 we go to sleep, he doesn't have toys in his room, just a desk and books but he never does anything in his room alone, we have tried the reward chat and he has heavy navy blue curtains bc he goes to bed early. We have tried moving his bedtime later then it is (6pm) but it doesn't do anything except make him tired and grouchy the next day... I can't Co sleep, i just sleep best alone. See i also have insomnia, so maybe he will just always be a crappy sleeper (thank God i can work overnights). Thanks for your suggestions, i appreciate it

Kiliki 12-05-2012 07:39 AM

He's going to bed at 6pm?

I personally think that's a bit early.

What are his activities like in a typical day? What is he doing?

My DD will be 6 next month. She is a crappy sleeper compared to the other two kids I have. She takes FORever to fall asleep, and whines and complains. But once she is asleep, she sleeps all night. Then she is up at the crack of dawn, before anyone else.

At (almost) 6, she STILL takes a nap EVERYDAY from about 1-2 to 4pm. She NEEDS that nap. And then bedtime in our house is 8-9pm depending on what is going on that day.

Could he need a nap during the day so that you can move his bedtime later??

Might he be needing more stimulation during the day to help him feel tired? I don't mean coloring or cartoons, I mean park time, where he can really get active and burn some energy...

Could there be a food he is sensitive to that is keeping him up?

How about a bedtime routine? Do you have one? We have had the same nap and bedtime routine for about 3+ yrs now, and the routine REALLY helps.

:hugs: I'm sorry you're having trouble. Sleeping issues are no fun!